1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

selig warming up to idea of rose in hof?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 27, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

All the stories I read, steak, said he would not permitted to manager.

And, again, Gee, Rose will be voted on the the vets committee. It will be a long time before they have to consider guys from the steriods era.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Re-instate him to make him eligible, but with the stipulation that he never be allowed to work for any organization in MLB.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spnited, I understand that. My point was that if baseball is willing to lift a lifetime suspension on a player accused of gambling on the sport so that said player can become a HoF member, the voters in the BBWAA election process would be hard-pressed to say they aren't voting for players who are SUSPECTED of using steroids, but who were never disciplined by baseball in any way. It's the old "more Catholic than the Pope" deal, or in this case, "more chickenshit than Bud."

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, bull fucking shit. As opposed to what, blatant and unrepentant racism? Cap Anson, your place in the hall is safe.

Besides, there is evidence that Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker not only bet on baseball but fixed at least one game. Those two are in the HOF. So spare me your hysterical anti-betting stance.....unforgivable sin, my ass. Who are you, anyway, to say that anything is unforgivable?? Who the hell appointed you to sit in judgment of anyone for anything??

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm the hysterical one....mmmkay.

And in this life, I am automatically suspicious of the people who say, "You can't judge me" or "Only God can judge me." Those are the people who act less than perfectly, but don't want it held against them.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Make him eligible for one year with the writers to give them one chance to vote him in.

If he doesn't get in, he goes to the Veterans Committee.

Whichever way it goes, he shouldn't be allowed to work in any capacity with a major league team.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Let the writers decide on who is in the Hall of Fame. If they feel betting on baseball keep him off their ballot, so be it. Same with steroid guys. It's a museum; as long as all the gory details are available during the vote, I'm OK with inclusion. Or not. Again, leave it up to the voters.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Never mind. ESPN has learned from "sources" that Selig has not changed his thinking on Rose.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?num=0&id=4358260

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

You throw out a line like "betting on the sport should be the unforgivable sin," you shouldn't complain when someone comes back and says that's a hysterical comment. Because it is.

As for your suspicions of those who "act less than perfectly," suspect away. Considering no one is perfect and no one ever really even acts perfectly, odds are you've found yourself a new and incredibly time-consuming hobby......all the best with it.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rose lived with Tony Gioiosa, a bodybuilder and heavy steroid user, for three years at the end of his playing career. Rose's gambling messenger, Paul Janszen, later did time for trafficking steroids.

One of the primary benefits of certain steroids, in addition to bulk and muscle mass, is improved recovery time for aging athletes after exertion and fatigue.

A particularly useful benefit for a player chasing an all-time hits record.

The argument "Rose should go in because steroid-using players probably will" is bullshit -- there's good strong indications Rose probably juiced up too. And, of course, Pete Rose, who has lied every mother fucking step of the way about this whole deal, deserves NO "presumption of innocence" -- on the contrary, everything he says should be presumed to be self-serving bullshit.

Betting on baseball games has been expressly forbidden since the formation of the National League in 1876. The policy was put to the test in the league's first season when a major fixing scandal resulted in the lifetime banning of several of the top players of the Louisville Grays, who blew the pennant in the final days of the season.

The evidence against Cobb and Speaker mainly consisted of the testimony of Dutch Leonard, who had a bitter vendetta against Cobb. Landis called a hearing on the charges; Leonard failed to show.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh stop it. Next thing you'll be telling us is that Pete's kid was busted for selling the juice, too.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

no wai !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted