1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

selig warming up to idea of rose in hof?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Rose hasn't done a damn thing to improve his image. The only thing that's helped him is the "steroid era."

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's where I'm at. The lying, over and over and over. Better to have said nothing at all.

For years, Pete said it wasn't so.

Then, he changed his tune when he thought the winds were shifting.

I'm usually pretty lenient on the cheater angle for HOF consideration. But, not in this case.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

He had more hits than anybody who ever played the fucking game, more than anybody who probably ever will play the fucking game.

Banning him from baseball for betting on games should never have affected his eligibility for the Hall of Fame. That was a chickenshit thing to do. Same with Joe Jackson.

Halls of fame, as museums and repositories and holders of archives, are wonderful institutions. As collections of names which deliberately exclude some of the most accomplished men ever to play a particular game, they leave a fuck of a lot to be desired.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Since Pete could hit, they should acquit.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What are the odds of that happening?

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Rose long ago set up shop in Vegas. Selig again tries to play the public like the used car salesman he is.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You bet on baseball, you don't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Double J, Rose's accomplishments are all over the Hall of Fame. He just doesn't have a plaque in the plaque room downstairs.
    It's not like the Hall has ignored his career. His ban means he can't be inducted in to the Hall, it doesnlt mean his records and achievements are ignored.

That said, it's time to drop the ban and let the veterans committee (all living HOF members) decide if they want to let him join them on the walls of the hallowed plaque room.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the argument is more that the Hall is more legitimate with the all-time hits leader in it. That is my thought. It is also why my favored scenario is that he is reinstated the day after he dies.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

But can't you also argue that having a Hall of Fame that inducts a man who bet on baseball, especially in the post-Landis era when it is virtually unheard of, makes the Hall less legitimate? Betting on the sport should be the unforgivable sin.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is an obvious Bud trial balloon, or, even more likely, a HoFamers Friends of Pete Rose caucus (Morgan, Mike Schmidt, etc.) trial balloon. One thing's for sure. If Rose is re-instated in baseball, HoF voters are going to have a DAMN hard time justifying voting against the PED crowd like Bonds and Clemens, who have always been members of the sport in good standing, if not necessarily in good standing with Federal authorities.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The problem with reinstating Pete Rose would be that some stupid team (probably the Reds, but just as likely someone like the Pirates or Orioles) would hire him as manager for publicity reasons. Even though he's damn near 70 (and older than Bobby Cox by a month and Tony LaRussa by three years), managing again is what Pete really wants. It's not really about the Hall of Fame with him.

I personally don't care one way or the other if he gets in the Hall. But he shouldn't be allowed back in MLB in a working capacity.

Draft saved Draft deleted