1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig to be in attendance when Bonds passes Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Jul 10, 2007.

1. i won't believe this until ESPN reports that ESPN's Buster Olney is reporting it.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's cowardly. Either man up, say you believe Barry cheated and you won't attend out of protest, or show up, have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Selig has two choices: Charge Bonds with breaking the rules of baseball and remove the home runs from his stats, or represent baseball as the Commissioner and recognize a new record.

That's it. He's the Commissioner, that's his burden. Fix the problem or salute it. It's not like no one knew this was coming.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

as simple as that.

or hire someone to make sure he can never hit a baseball over a fence again. Perhaps a little Quitters, Inc. methodology.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Aaron's absence speaks significantly louder and with more integrity and moral authority than Selig could muster in a lifetime. Selig has an obligation to appear, something Bowie Kuhn never understood

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I love how Bonds threw his decision about the Home Run Derby back on Selig - just wanted a formal invite. Did all the other guys there get an engraved invitation?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Bonds had a good interview with Gammons during the home run derby, said Selig is an adult and that he can't make up his mind for him. Came across as mature, intelligent, thoughtful, even candid. Can't help but think this put pressure on Selig. Brilliant move by Bonds' people.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Selig has to be there. He has a lot of shit to eat. He's the ultimate representative of the owners who had a big hand in creating the steroids monster.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bonds' "people" really didn't have anything to do with it. It isn't as if Barry and Rachel Vizcarra (sp?) are sitting around calculating how to shift the pressure to Bud Selig. He just did an interview with Gammons. He's one of the most intelligent players in the game. Plus, Barry's known Gammons for a very long time and they have a good relationship.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No reason for Selig not to be there. And I wish Aaron wouldn't have given that golfing excuse. He's going to be golfing every day for the next 75-80? He should have stated the true reason why instead of spouting B.S. BTW, a lot of thought about Aaron now is revisionism. He was considered somewhat sullen, a la Bonds tho not to such an extent that economics allows Bonds to be. He never sought to be the noble, cuddly character some are making him out to be.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good point on the Aaron revisionism, Dools. As I recall (I was 16 when he broke the record), Aaron (quite understandably) carried a pretty big chip on his shoulder, sort of an internalized anger, presumably due to the racism he encountered throughout his baseball career. Because it contrasts well with Bonds, the anti-Bonds segment of the media (with the help of Bud Selig) has turned that into "quiet, graceful and dignified."

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Of course, as a black man in the south in the Civil Rights era, he had more reason to brood than does Bonds.

I am slowly coming around to rooting for Bonds, just because I think baseball deserves him as the HR king for all-time, just so it never forgets what a sham the period from 1994-2005 was. I read that HRs this year are being hit at the lowest rate since 1993. Bonds holding the record is a scar baseball deserves.

Draft saved Draft deleted