1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig Serious About Expanding Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with this if they start earlier, if each series aside from the World Series is best-of-5, and if they eliminate the gerrymandering bullshit in the schedule.

That's the reason the playoffs go on for so long. Needless three or four-day delays between series, or, one-day breaks within the current first rounds of series. It's unnecessary and totally antithetical to the game.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

How is baseball on the verge of becoming irrelevant? Irreelvant to whom, people in towns like Pittsburgh where management sucks?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Everybody keeps saying that, but baseball is laughing all the way to the bank. By the one limited measure of TV ratings, football is king. So stipulated. But baseball, with its use of the local cable contracts and especially as a pioneer in the online world, is tremendously well-positioned for the 21st century. They have moved out of the old "broadcast is everything" business model in a way that really is the envy of the media world.

4. Bubbler

Baseball is also the only sport that's accessible to watch in person if you have a family.

I can't afford to take my family to a NFL game or a NBA game. I can afford to take them to a MLB game. That personal connection with the game you develop when you're young matters in the long run.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that is one reason the faltering broadcast ratings matter. Seeing the game on television matters, too.

6. Bubbler

It matters to a degree, but not any kind of end-all, be-all degree.

Besides, I've heard sky is falling arguments about baseball's national TV ratings for almost as long as I've been alive. Seems to me that none of the impending doom that's forecast ever comes to pass.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

National ratings matter less in baseball because local markets are what matters. It is not a once-a-week sport, it is an everyday sport.
    It's why you can't compare MLB and the NFL. Two different animals.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Plus, football isn't boring as hell to watch. :D

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, it sure was boring watching Lincecum and Lee deal last night, as opposed to the scintillating 9-0 Packers-Jets game I got to watch in NY on Sunday.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I agree with shortening spring training and starting the regular season earlier, but making an effort to have teams like Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, etc. with outdoor stadiums starting the first two weeks in Cali or Florida or in a dome like Milwaukee. Yes, it would suck that Detroit's first game would never be at home, but I've been to games in March in Detroit where it snowed so hard I couldn't see the plate from my seat in right field.

Then, the regular season needs to be shortened to 154 games or there needs to be more double-headers, even that means day-night double headers, during the 162-game regular season.

After all that's done, fine, add two teams, I guess.

I was against the wild card when it came into effect, but I no longer mind it. I guess 10 teams in the post-season would grow on me too.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you were comparing regular season games in both sports, that would be fair. But we aren't. We're comparing the World Series to NFL regular-season games and baseball is still losing.

Baseball relies on local markets in part because it has chosen to do so. It is not a good choice in the long run. Baseball isn't going to be irrelevant, but it is limiting its fan base for the future by catering only to a few of its markets.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Football is more consumer friendly on TV — better angles, better views, way less expensive, don't have to battle the elements.

Baseball is more consumer friendly live — better ambiance (than on TV), not so expensive that the average joe can't go to a couple games a year, the whole foul ball/HR thing keeps fans engaged, generally decent weather.

Both are growing in popularity based on what they do best. Neither is destined for irrelevancy. But the weather component shouldn't be taken lightly by the number crunchers who think adding more playoff teams, and games, is a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted