1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig Serious About Expanding Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Nov 2, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

While the Giants were wrapping it upin the comfort of Texas last night, it was 43 degrees at game time and 39 by the 8th inning in New York. Great baseball weather.
    Let's extend the season until we can play the whole World Series in sub-freezing temps.

2. I think it's a horrible idea, but if it's done it should be done within the context of a bigger picture realignment of the leagues and balancing of the schedules.

Selig talks about what is "fair." The Rangers and Red Sox had nearly identical records. In mid-September, Boston was hopelessly out of the race while Texas was resting for the playoffs. "Fairness" is a silly concept with the system they have currently.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So basically, Fox is asking for a system that all but assures the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs every year.

4. ... Bud will go ahead and 'fix' it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

This will not happen because owners will not shorten regular season and lose revenue, MLBPA will not agree to extending playoffs unless regular season is shortened to 154 or 156 games.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I also think this is a horrible idea and would hate to see it happen. But as for the timing, I think it's already booked into the current schedule. Teams will go back to the Tues-Wed series start for the first round (instead of Wed-Thurs), they'll ditch the extra TV days off because Fox will always have something to show anyway, and there won't be such a break between rounds. This year the Phillies and Reds finished on a Sunday, the Giants and Braves on a Monday, and yet the NLCS didn't start until Saturday.

Once they've crossed the Rubicon into the first week of November, they can work an extra round into that schedule.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I've heard more doubleheaders mentioned as an option, but starting the season earlier might be the most feasible option.

Start the season earlier, keep the playoffs as they are. Was this postseason really poorer for not having Boston and San Diego?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Keep expanding the playoffs until they are completely irrelevant.

Awesome business plan.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

That happens in all sports. Two years ago, the Jets finished third in the AFC East at 9-7. They missed the playoffs while the 8-8 Chargers won the AFC West.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourselves. Baseball, at least in terms of TV, is very much broken...

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/tv-ratings-world-series-clincher-cant-top-abcs-dancing-on-monday

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't worry. I'm sure the apologists will come around to explain that. Regional sport! Too many games! You can't compare those two!

Seriously, I agree that this is a terrible idea unless baseball is willing to shorten the regular season to make it happen. There ARE too many games as it is.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is a crushing defeat. You are so right, Tiger Vols. That is anything but "Not Broke".

Draft saved Draft deleted