1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig might reinstate Aaron as HR king.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 12, 2009.

?

But should he stop there?

1. Keep Bonds on top

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Reinstate Aaron

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Reinstate Maris with an FU to McGwire and Sosa

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. both 2 and 3

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Aaron broke the home run record at a time when steroid use was so rampant in baseball that Congress considered investigating it. He's had at least one teammate on the record saying that a large portion of his team was juicing.

He was a slugger who had his best power years late in his 30s, well beyond when normal aging should have kicked in.

There was no testing back then, so we'll never know for sure, but if you want to remove suspicion, you'll need to go back a lot further.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If Obama came out and said something off the wall, "I might bomb France tomorrow" ... don't you think that'd be worth reporting? Just the fact, you know, he said that ...

The commissioner says he might remove the most hallowed record from the record book ... that's a fucking story. Even if there's a snowball's chance in hell of it happening. You can point out there's no chance in hell that it's happening. But if Selig makes such a pronouncement ... just the fact that he made it is a story.

And, yes, in this instance ... I want to see the quote.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Anytime anyone brings up an "if" you guys shout it down as a strawman argument.

But you really expect me to believe that if someone you didn't agree with said they were considering, oh I don't know, eliminating the department of homeland security (even though you know it couldn't/wouldn't happen) that you would just make that a brief. And yes, obviously the nation's security and a fucking sports record aren't the same thing. But your argument is if you don't trust someone, then their prospective decisions aren't worth covering is a joke.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Problem is, that's exactly what he would be doing here.

If steroids were such a problem in the NFL (1970s Steelers, Raiders, etc.) and elsewhere (Schwarzenegger) before the steroids era, is it such a stretch to think guys like Nolan Ryan might have provided the blueprint for guys like Clemens? You either have to accept all of the numbers or none. To pick and choose would be the worst thing Selig can do, which means he would probably do it.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

IJAG,

I think the difference in this case is that Selig has a history dating back to his 1992 coup of Fay Vincent of making hand-wringing statements for PR purposes when he knows darn well he has no ability to carry through with them.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Show me any reports, even suspicions, that Maris used steroids in 1961.

This is enough to raise my suspicions as to who lived in the steroids era:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. imjustagirl

cran, I still don't think that means you don't report it. As I posted earlier, then you report that he said it, you recast his "hand-wringing statements" and lack of follow-through, and you show how hard it would be.

But you can't simply ignore that he said this.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So we're going to give Maris and that era a pass because a combination of a compliant press and lack of easy testing made it impossible to know which players were using, despite having reports that the use was widespread throughout the league?

Doesn't seem right to me.

9. ScribePharisee

Just, you're more than a girl. You're a brilliant, on-target woman. Good post.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Check out Brady Anderson's yearly homer total some day.

Exact.... same ... thing

Whenever your record-setting HR total is 56 percent higher than your career second-best, that is a big suspicion.

11. ScribePharisee

Oh, so now it's the press's fault?

Show me a Maris or Aaron that doesn't look more like the examples of the younger trio above and I'll get back to you.

12. imjustagirl

I somehow feel worse now. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted