1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig might reinstate Aaron as HR king.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 12, 2009.

?

But should he stop there?

1. Keep Bonds on top

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Reinstate Aaron

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Reinstate Maris with an FU to McGwire and Sosa

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. both 2 and 3

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's gimmicky bullshit that would open a never-ending can of worms. So do we also reinstate Maris as the single season HR King? Do we erase all of Clemens pitching records? Perhaps we should remove Rose and Cobb from the top of all-time hits lists for being gamblers and dickheads. How about erasing all wins by spitballers like Gaylord Perry.

Maybe it's just time for baseball fans to accept that their record books are full of cheaters and douchebags. Nowhere is it written that you have to be a good person to excel at the game.

2. Why report on a "might," especially from someone who, whatever his authority, has very little credibility on the subject?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Gaylord Perry should have 0 wins as well.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I agree, but if that asshole actually said something so shocking, I want to see those words.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Seriously? The commissioner of baseball says he's thinking about reinstating Aaron, and you just ignore it? I mean, maybe you would phrase it differently ("Selig says he is considering" or whatever) but you can't just ignore that story.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

WFW.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think anyone is ignoring the story. I think people are calling bullshit on it.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Whom are you responding to?

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Simple. Declare all records during the alleged "steroids era" null and void.
    If you allow this "cheating," then lift the ban against Pete Rose immediately and fax a note to heaven, or the cornfield, informing Shoeless Joe and his teammates that they're forgiven of all crimes.

10. Simon_Cowbell

THAT is the choice.

If you leave these numbers alone, Rose must be reinstated.... yesterday if not sooner.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then any records before 1947 should be wiped out as well.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was responding to Fenian, who said why report on someone saying "might."

Draft saved Draft deleted