1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig given extension through 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mike311gd, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Bob Costas would be a great commissioner.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think he'd be the second coming of Kenesaw Mountain Landis.

THAT's what baseball needs. At least the he's the law part of it.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I was cracking up at the subject line of the announcement email from MLB: "Commissioner Selig's Contract Extended Through 1012"

I mean, I know the guy's old and all ...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuck that shit. [/Buck Weaver]

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's funny. I thought the two of them were golfing buddies.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The days of an independent commissioner never happened. From the very start, Landis was a stooge for the owners (notably Charlie Comiskey).

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Only way Landis was a stooge for Comiskey was in their mutual hatred for Ban Johnson.

Landis was the man who destroyed Comiskey's team when he didn't have to.

That said, your first point is correct. There's never been an independent commish -- not even Fay Vincent, though he's trying hard to create that legacy now.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Any owner who didn't vote for Selig's extension is crazy. All Bud has done is keep the cash flowing like Niagara Falls while sustaining all of the ridicule from the public and media. What more could they want? Someone with a conscience and a hammer? No way.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bingo. And the rest of the game keeps on weeping.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

What is there to weep about? The commissioner is and always has been an employee of the owners ... nothing more, nothing less.

Bud might be a jerk but the owners -- despite their own stupidity -- are making gazillions of dollars.
    Even shitbag owners in Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Miami, and all the other "small market" pissants are making a profit because Bud convinced the Steinbrenners, Wilpons, John Henrys, et al that revenue sharing was good for the game.

Baseball has never been more profitable and that is all the owners care about. They think Bud is great because despite all the shit that has gone down, they are lining their pockets like never before.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A drunken, racist Cub fan?

That's what baseball needs?

Think not.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add to this.

Draft saved Draft deleted