1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selfish Thread Alert: I'm a proud papa

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Apr 12, 2012.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Prayers sent, pern.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I am so late to the party.

Congrats, Pern. Couldn't be happier for you.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We won't know anything more until morning at the earliest. They did some bloodwork and cultures, etc., and we need to get the results before we know anything.

His white blood cell count isn't too high, so they think it's a sign the infection hasn't yet spread. They'll test it again in the morning. If the count goes down it's good, if it goes up it's bad.

In the meantime, I've been snapping photos and soaking up every second with him.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What a beautiful little angel. So sorry you have to go through this....hang in there, Pern.

5. bigpern23

Thanks, 21. Kinda crazy to feel the absolute joy of a child's birth and the nerve-wracking fear of a child's sickness within two days. Roller coaster doesn't begin to describe it.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Eh, you're just getting all you panicking out of the way early. :)

I was a very difficult baby, or so my parents tell me, and they worried their brains out for the first couple of years. Growing up, I had so many things wrong with me medically, I lost track of the number of times I was in the hospital.

Have only been to the hospital once -- and that was because I got tackled into a tree stump during a football game at a graduation party and split the back of my head open-- in almost two decades.

Hang in there dude. Nothing but good thoughts going your way.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Thinking of you and the little one, bigpern. All will be OK. I know it's hard, but try and get your sleep.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Best wishes, bigpern.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man, I missed the update. So sorry to read this, pern. I am thinking of you and your little guy.

10. bigpern23

Thank you, everyone. Antibiotics seem to be working and he's feeding better. He lost a full pound the second day, but he's gaining weight again and they felt comfortable enough to release him. We have him home and the infection is beginning to recede.

Prayers answered, thank you all. He can't have lots of people holding him yet, but he's doing well. We're feeling very lucky and grateful.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is great news! Fingers crossed he continues getting better.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, that's great news. So when he's 14 and takes the car to get a tattoo, remember you've already been through the worst!

Draft saved Draft deleted