1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Selfies at Funerals'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2013.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

My understanding was there was a crowd there watching the rescue, and the Post photog was just in the right spot to get it. I'd say since rescue workers are up with the jumper, there could have been time to hear the call that someone was on the bridge about to jump and get there while the rescuers got there and got to the jumper. Not like he only had two minutes to get there. And who knows, maybe that was the closest he could get to get photos of the rescue. With the right lens, he'd probably be in a great spot.

Or it's posed.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Catholic in the West.

Still contemplating whether to post mine. It's all the rage, I suppose.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't think what people understand is that it is culturally acceptable in some areas in America.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The AFP photog tells the story behind the Obama selfie:

http://blogs.afp.com/correspondent/?post%2FSelfie

He seems perplexed and frustrated that this photo has become a political talking point.

I guess it’s a sign of our times that somehow this image seemed to get more attention than the event itself. Go figure.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The photo was taken in Brooklyn Bridge Park, by Pier 1, which is a touristy spot that is typically crawling with a ton of people during the day. With a jumper on the south side of the bridge, it would be the ideal spot for a photographer to grab a photo of the scene. So it's not that unbelievable that a news photographer would have headed there to get his or her shot.

I have no idea if the Post made the whole thing up. But with what was going on on the bridge, there is certainly no reason to ASSUME that it did.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Of course it was the woman who snapped the world-leaders selfie.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Perhaps the leader of the free world can lead and tell her, "Put the phone away. We're at a funeral."

Its a horrible optic.

9. TheSportsPredictor

They were actually at a memorial.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh. Then by all means, snap away.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Also acceptable at Irish wakes.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Eh, I get the fauxrage over this, but only to a point. It's a South Afican memorial where people are dancing, singing, celebrating Mandela's life. It's not a Catholic funeral.

Still, that pose is a little beneath the leader of the free world.

My favorite NSA joke:

Prime Minister: Mr. President, shall I send you a copy of this?

Obama: Nah I'm good. Already got one.

Draft saved Draft deleted