1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self Publishing a book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Mar 7, 2011.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Anyone on here have experience with doing this? (Mods, if this needs to go on Journalism topics, please feel free to move it)

I have an idea for a series of children's books and have been doing my own research into the best companies that will fit what I'm looking for.

I'm designing my own artwork for the series.

Didn't know if anyone here had any first-hand knowledge about any companies out there that were good to work with outside of the google/yahoo/bing searches and writing forums I've visited to get information.

A couple that I have found that look enticing to me are: Dog Ear Publishing out of Indianapolis and Book Locker.

Just trying to make as informed a decision as I can about my project, and since there is so much wisdom here, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for any help.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

You mention artwork. Drawings/paintings, I presume. Are you doing the layout (in InDesign or Quark) as well? If so, and you know you want to print a specific number of copies, you can find a printer, send him the entire file on a CD-rom (even e-mail a PDF in some cases) and the only real tricky part is deciding on a cover (hard or soft), binding (many options), and a dust jacket (if hardcover). Oh, and paying for it. A low price for a 1,000-copy run of a 208-page four-color book these days is about $20,000.

That's self-publishing too, but you've got to figure out how to sell it yourself, or find someone willing to pick up the tab.

That's also the hard way. Your way (print-on-demand) can work on a much smaller budget, but there's little return unless you're extremely lucky and it sells bunches or (even better) an established publisher sees a copy (it doesn't hurt to put copies in the hands of agents who know editors at established houses that deal in children's books) and offers you $$$ for the rights, and agrees that a series of books would sell.

I know people who have printed really good books via AuthorHouse (similar to DogEar) and are still in the hole a year later, but happy they've published their book.

Extreme good luck to you.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I have not self-published, but if you do, make sure you retain the rights to the product.

Draft saved Draft deleted