1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-loathing Journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Life, Feb 4, 2009.

1. The Life

The Life Member

I let a pretty egregious error slip into copy this week and have felt down about it since. It was caught during hard-copy edits, so didn't get into the pub that way. But it doesn't take away the sting of missing something so big. None of my friends understand why one mistake eats at me so much.

Got me wondering, do other professions have the same kind of self-loathing or are my friends just slackers.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I do not think that means what you think it means.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Loathing is a little strong but if you give a shit about your work, yeah, it bothers you.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Newspapers have been doing things by a system for a long time -- some here would argue a system that's being eroded drastically -- and when the presses start, "didn't get in the pub that way" is the bottom line.

If you're any good, it's not unusual that this bothers you, but believe me, I've had things go all the way to the doorstep in my life. You take this as a reminder and get better because of it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I once dented the side of a rental car when I was told I spelled Dwyane Wade's name wrong for the second day in a row.

6. The Life

The Life Member

I'm fairly certain Wade's mom has spelled his first name wrong.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you're any good at writing, any little mistake should bother you to some extent. The day you stop caring about doing your best is the day you should give up writing.

Having said that, it got caught before it went to press, right? In the end, that's probably more important than the fact you made the mistake in the first place.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but I did it once, was told I did it by the desk and then did it again. That really fucking pissed me off (at myself).

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Making the apology to someone for spelling their name incorrectly is more gut-wrenching to me than anything.

It just reeks of your failure to do your job correctly. The simple task of double-checking the spelling is not difficult to perform.

f_t is right. When you quit caring, look for another job.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'd be more concerned that I mis-used the term 'self-loathing'.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

WFW.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I got chewed out big-time by some flunkies around the office when I docked myself a day's pay for a fairly stupid and egregious error that nobody else had even noticed. Mostly by fuckers who a) were way below me on the food chain anyway, and b) make more mistakes in three days than I make in three years.

Fine. So be it. Justice begins at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted