1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts: Tiger won't catch Nicklaus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Somewhere in Orlando, there's a man who's tired of hitting this [/bluefont]

2. I think she wrote this purely for attention. [said Captain Obvious]

Bet Tiger pulls a copy of the column from his shirt pocket when he wins No. 19.

3. I don't think it's a ridiculous column, particularly with the knee and putting issues. It's hard to win major titles. Really hard. Harder than tennis. It's you against the field.

Also: Can we please confine the Masturbation Nation photos to Anything Goes? I'm in a public computer lab here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

putting is not an issue for tiger. every golfer has peaks and valleys.

tiger's goal is to win so many majors that he'd be the cy young of golf. as in, no one will ever win 511 games, or however many cy won. tiger's aim, i reckon, is to put the record so far out of reach that they'll have to talk about tiger woods for infinity when talking about majors.

there will be a few more tigeresque studs in the next 10-15 years, who will push him, and because he's so competitive and in such great shape, he'll have a renewed drive in his 40's.

i have no doubt he gets at least 10 more.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is anyone else distracted by the columnist photos where they're randomly gesturing with their hands? I wish they would have stuck with the artistic sketches of a few months back.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

This.

7. I don't agree.

Does Mark Whicker win because we were talking about his column?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But it wasn't. And he didn't. Four more opportunities missed.

And as great as he is, with every passing year that greatness diminishes, as it does with every athlete. As he ages his window is closing and his margin for error is diminishing, albeit at a slower pace than Mickelson's, Garcia's, Ells's, etc. And his knee is a valid concern. Arthritis doesn't discriminate.

Woods may very well reach 18 majors; he'd better win one next year, when the courses are definitely in his favor. But there is no way he's going to be consistently playing at this high a level for 20 more years. Even the great Michael Jordan was an average NBA player at the end of his career.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree. He'll either get 18 on the number or maybe 19. There doesn't need to be a great rival to derail him, either, looking at the roster of major winners of late -- Yang, Cink, Cabrera, etc.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Woods has won 14 majors in 13 professional seasons. He is in his early 30s. Serena might be right, but she has very little credible evidence to support her position.
    Put it this way. If I had a means of getting in touch with her, I'd be bringing betting money -- as much as I could.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't buy her argument that the pressure will get to him like it did with the Patriots as they chased the Dolphins perfect season. Tiger has all eyes on him every time he tees it up, whether it's a major or second-tier event.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Basketball isn't golf. He's not even halfway through his window.

Draft saved Draft deleted