1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts: I think Whitlock was trying to out me; Chass is an old grump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, May 20, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With great ass :p

2. Boom_70

Selena sounds like an angry feminist in this column she did for The Times on Penn St female Hoops coach Rene Portland's malfunctioning "Gaydar".

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9402EEDC113FF93BA35751C0A9619C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Found this sentence interesting:

"With every job opening, athletic directors fill positions knowing their hire could be the subject of Internet gossip or booster dissent if the coach is known to be a lesbian. And so an official wonders, should I hire a man to be safe?"

Certainly LSU wishes they had done the "safe thing". Selena never addressed that story though in one of her columns

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Great for commutes, too.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

ONE! AND IT'S NOT FUNNY!

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

For the record:

fem⋅i⋅nism
      /ˈfɛməˌnɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fem-uh-niz-uhm] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
    2. (sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
    3. feminine character.

fem·i·nist (fěm'ə-nĭst)
    n. A person whose beliefs and behavior are based on feminism.
    adj. Relating to feminism.
    fem'i·nis'tic adj.

Any negative connotations that have come to be associated with the word, feminist, don't really have anything to do with what it's actually meant. Equality. I should think that we'd all be feminists.
    I do, however, recognize there are folks out there that don't feel women should be equal, hence, the negative connotations and some of the outrageous crap that has been spewed over the years.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The ad or some dating service at the top of my page shows two cartoon women kissing. Guess teh interwebs thinks feminists are lesbians, too.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't have any problems with feminists or feminism.

Femi-Nazis? That's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Not suggesting that anyone here is one, by the way......

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Now you're understanding me!

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I still find it funny that someone who goes on Oprah wearing that shirt (untucked!) rails against brothers for not pulling up their pants.

10. Boom_70

Draft saved Draft deleted