1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts back page debut for SI (new column on Pg. 2)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 16, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have been a Selena fan but I thought her later stuff at the Times was a bit strained, as if she were trying too hard and reaching too far. I feel the same about this piece.

Then, there was this preposterous sentence:

Only those who operate on the same plane of genius as Belichick understand how lonely life as a virtuoso can be

Can we please get over this inane concept of Bill Belichick as a genius. He is nothing more than a fucking football coach. He is not now and never will be a genius.
    His contribution to the overall good of the world is absolutely fucking ZERO.
    If he disappeared tomorrow, nobody outside the NFL would miss him.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Where are you seeing her mug? It ain't on the link posted.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That was unreadable.

That is the subject choice of her leadoff column? My Christ!

Clint Eastwood, as he often does, said it best: Man has to know his limitations

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of SI readers have any idea who Selena Roberts is.

I bet its pretty low- 30 % maybe?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

<18%, easily.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In the magazine.

I just don't get what she's going for in this space....it's one of the few great print showcases, and these columns have been so flat. Surprising and disappointing.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That hurts because she has very limited cred with readers of SI. RR already had street cred with readers when he started column. Because of that he always got the benifit of the doubt when he wrote a clunker

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Same ol' Selena. A few clever turns of phrase (the description of Manning was particularly good -- perpetual bed head, backpack, etc.), a few catty remarks aimed at a perceived villain (Belichick) and, in the end, no compelling story -- just a series of disjointed thoughts. She's obviously talented but I think she's in over her head and needs to learn to write a well-constructed column. She's no Lisa Olson.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I await word from subscribers to the paper product of their thoughts on Dan Patrick's new presence up front.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You mean he wasn't a genius in Cleveland?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When SI hired her, they should have built a package deal, hiring a personal ideas editor to hone and focus what she was aiming at, and a personal copy editor to throw half of the hyperbole and metaphors overboard. Selena is terrifically talented, but she got too quickly to the kid-glove level where, from all appearances, no one massages her angles or her words nearly enough.

This seems to me another example of APSE hospitality-room inbreeding, a handful of SEs deciding and reinforcing each other's views as to which half dozen scribes really are good. Becomes self-perpetuating. And it so often is completely lost on readers.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cleveland has so many geniuses (genii?) that it's hard to stand out.

Draft saved Draft deleted