1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts back page debut for SI (new column on Pg. 2)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 16, 2008.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Re: Selena Roberts back page debut for SI

Maybe others were doing the same sort of thing, but far worse? No. These guys were flat-out paying players, even after being nailed for it and warned to stop. This thing went through the university president all the way to the governor's office. Remember the famous line by Texas Gov. Bill Clements -- ``We've got a payroll to meet.'' Oh, yeah, and don't forget the other five times SMU was hit with NCAA penalties for a wide variety of recruiting violations in the previous decade. I believe SMU was once cited for providing prostitutes for recruits (I'm 100 percent sure TCU was, not so positive about SMU).

Bottom line: some might have been as bad. None were worse. Certainly not ``far worse.''

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'm sure Jesus would have ripped and left for dead the Duke lacrosse team with no evidence, too. Still waiting for that mea culpa.

3. Re: Selena Roberts back page debut for SI

Didn't she write a "Something happened in that house" column after they were exonerated?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thought I would update this with Roberts' second turn at bat.

She got the back-page for the Super Bowl.

http://fannation.com/blogs/post/143995

Your thoughts?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think the point is that there are no constitutional limits.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another disjointed column with no real idea of the point that she is trying to make.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I thought that too. She was all over the place.

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Definitely a nice photo. Wouldn't have recognized her, though - although that's probably true of my mug as well. :D

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

That Super Bowl column reads as if she were on deadline, and she'd committed to writing about the genius Belichick driving the Patriots to perfection, and then -- holy shit! -- the Giants won and she had 10 minutes to slap on a new ending.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I kind of liked it actually. Not the best thing I've ever read, but a good read nonetheless.

You have to admit, the bar's been set pretty high

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Personally I'll give Selena a chance. As long as I never have to read another anti-baseball rant from Rick I'll be fine.

Of course, he won't get away with that at ESPN... lol

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

There was nothing in that column I couldn't have read in any major newspaper the day after the Super Bowl. For the back page of SI, I expect more. Maybe Selena just hasn't quite hit her stride yet, but so far she and the other Reilly replacements have been pretty underwhelming.

Draft saved Draft deleted