1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts back page debut for SI (new column on Pg. 2)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 16, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Re: Selena Roberts back page debut for SI

Good picture of her, though.

2. jaredk

jaredk Member

What's the point of saying you "can't carry her jock" when you also say you don't get her? Isn't the point of column writing to inform and persuade with an occasional foray into entertainment? She does none of that. Thus, she fails. Anybody can carry that jock.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is what you want from the back page - a nice comfortable read. Something perhaps that you can get through while on the crapper.
    The effort needed to read and understand Selena's column could leave you shall we say all "bound up" .

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Whereas Reilly was straight Ex-Lax.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is another bad example of a writer trying to intertwine Christianity and football . It's never worked,

"Outlined against a blue, gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again.

"In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below."

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So, let's say you're an editor at SI. One of your new, big-money hires turns this in. In structure and meter and focus, it has some obvious flaws. How do you get her to see that? This, at least style-wise, is similar to a lot of what she did at the NYT. But the stage is much larger, and the margin for error much, much thinner. Do you kick it back to her and say: Narrow the focus. Or do you line edit it the best you can, and hope she'll grow into the position in time? She can be something of an aquired taste. I have friends who say they never "got" her, and never will.

I agree with 21. Nice picture.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Selena wears a jock?

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

"can't carry her jock" is a reference to her writing ability. she is a marvelou beat/features writer. as a columnist, just too all over the place for me.

as to whether she literally wears a jock, not for me to say.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

it was about....phony amateurism....no, it was about phony religiosity....no, it was about division 3 wannabes.....no, it was about division 1 wannabes...

wow - awesomely bad

she's a terrific writer - i love her work - but that's the worst thing she's ever written

her times editors would have spiked it

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Is the pic on line?
    I can't find it.
    Yes, I am an idiot.

11. Re: Selena Roberts back page debut for SI

If you want to call the Christian schools hypocrites, just call them hypocrites. All the filigree lost me.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Selena's columns have always been more about a clever turn of phrase than substance. They read as if she's trying too hard to string together clever thoughts and, subsequently, they often lack basic coherency. There's something to be said for ease, elegance and clarity. I do think she's very talented, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted