1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts back page debut for SI (new column on Pg. 2)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Christian universities chasing glory by throwing big money at football coaches are selling a little piece of their soul on the journey.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/113995

Thoughts?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Selena Roberts back page debut for SI

I am not even sure where to begin. Column is all over the place and really introduces nothing new.

When Selena was at the Times she must not have followed college sports because she seemed surprised that this was going on.

Being familiar with her work at the Times I think this column is an example of her trying too hard and trying to cover too much ground.

Overall not a good start.

As a sidebar I was intrigued by juxtaposition of SI selling Notre Dame Ring Tones on their web site.

Folks - face it Rick Reilly has left the building and is not coming back.

3. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

I thought it was pretty uneven and didn't really establish a common thread throughout. And the kicker was very odd.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're saying Rick Reilly is not going to walk through the back page of sports illustrated anymore?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agree it was a strange column. Did she not know Liberty has had football for decades, with Sam Rutigliano coaching?

Also, these are private schools. They can do all the preaching and bible thumping they want.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I just don't know if I want sports writers telling me what Jesus would or would not have done.

7. Re: Selena Roberts back page debut for SI

I find her tough to read.

I know that I couldn't carry her jock, etc., etc., etc.

But I can't help it. I find her hard to read and I think others out there probably do, as well.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of Selena's former Times colleagues once described her as "brilliant but wrongheaded," which I think is what this column demonstrates.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

my sentiments exactly. well said. selena's clearly a superior writer. can't carry her jock. but i just don't get her.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

Her writing got in the way of her point -- whatever that was.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Selena's really good. That's too big a topic for that space. She should have focused on one school -- and it's really worse on the high school level anyway -- where some little Christian schools try to get good in a hurry.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I pretty much agree with what's been said. At his best and at his worst, Reilly was almost always a nice, comfortable read. This column was anything but. I envision a fair number of readers getting halfway through it, going WTF?, and tossing the mag aside. I give Selena credit for not trying to carry on in Reilly's glib jokester tradition, but she's going to have to be a little more accessible if this is going to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted