1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Must Not Have Children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 12, 2008.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I didn't make it through the whole thing, either. Then I went back and reread it after some of the comments made here, and most of you are right. She can turn a lot of clever phrases, but she doesn't quite pull them all together. This has the makings of a good column, and these three thoughts can be connected, I suppose, but she didn't pull it off. And a pretty crappy issue overall ... unless you are a UF or women's hoops fan. I might go back and read that hoops story, but I doubt it.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO, and let's face it, look where she is and look where I am, so MO isn't to be considered gospel, Roberts has forgotten some of the first principles of column writing. It's a short space. Don't try to cram in more than one idea. She uses words well, but don't let the words run the show. The idea is supposed to do that.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boom, is your thread title an observation or an imperative?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

1) Her lede seemed to be extremely jumbled, as in "I give up" kind of jumbled.

2) I'd send it back to her and tell her to focus.

5. JMAC --
    I'd buy her a glass of Clontarf and tell her to chill. She doesn't need to "write like Selena Roberts." She already IS her. Hey, you've GOT the job. Don't hang onto it so tight that you squeeze it to death. (Farley and the dinner roll in Tommy Boy is a good one.) Also, remind her to heed Max Perkins's advice and kill her darlings.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Now, that's a great question.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    I read the whole thing and when the column took a break and moved on to something else, I imagined ••• breaking up the different thoughts.
    The biggest problem was it was three very short columns packaged as one backpage column.
    If you read the lede on going to the mall, then read the second to last paragraph on Canadian junior hockey, you wouldn't think it was the same piece.
    She tried to wrap it up, but it just didn't work because the kit she mentioned, was that the DNA kit (I think it was) or the build a bear kit?
    And if it was the DNA kit, then why start off the first third of the column with build a bear?
    Pick one or the other and then connect it to the Gladwell's book.
    I think that would have worked much better.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Observation but "hunch" might be more precise.

9. bottom line is that if any of us turned in that jumbled mess we'd be openly mocked by our desks

10. Some members of this forum seem predisposed to picking on SI columnists. Perhaps some might be better off buying land and starting vineyards, since they seem to be sour-grape experts.

11. I just pick on bad columnists. Who cares where they work?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Selena used to be an sj fav when she wrote coherently.

Draft saved Draft deleted