1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

UConn lost twice this season to Pitt. Albeit, they had a better run in their tournament than Pitt but I think the Panthers are more deserving. They'll be a No. 2 for sure though.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

With the bracket-specific conversation now over here, please note that I have posted a couple of questions relating to the selection of an All-American team. I won't muck up this thread with that. Thanks.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Well, I think I'd put them over Memphis in their chances to get a #1 seed. Their key loss was to Georgetown, but they also got beat by Pitt and Syracuse, both of which are obviously very good teams. They hold a better RPI than Memphis, and they play in a better conference.

I mean it could go either way, but UConn's resume speaks volumes for their chances at a #1 seed.

I think it might be important to note that while UConn did lose to Pitt twice, they were good losses. Pitt was at least ranked in the top five when they beat UConn on those two occasions. Pitt, on the other hand, lost to Villanova on January 28th, then to WVU in the Big East Tournament.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

+1

If the Big East was the GREATEST LEAGUE OF ALL TIME, then Louisville should be an IMMORTAL LOCK for a #1.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Don't forget Pitt's loss to Providence.

One other thing: UConn is 4-3 since Jerome Dyson was lost for the season. We know the losses. The wins were at Marquette (the same game Dom James suffered his season-ending injury), at Seton Hall and home against Notre Dame and South Florida. Only the USF win was by more than 10 points.

UConn is not the same team without Dyson.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Teams that are locks to not make the Sweet 16:

Clemson (can't make a free throw to save their lives)
    Wake Forest (young team ripe for the pickins in a 3-14 or 4-13 game)
    Connecticut (no, not the same without Dyson)

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ah, yes. Thank you. I knew I was forgetting a loss.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Depending on where Wake gets seeded, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get knocked out in the first or second round.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not only young, but Teague can either be fucking incredible or fucking terrible. He's so up and down.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

No team has ever won the Big East regular season and tournament and not been a No. 1.

Louisville, UNC and Memphis a locks for No. 1 seeds Pitt probably gets the other No 1 by default...and bows out as always in the Sweet 16

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When did North Carolina join the SEC?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would be shocked if UConn and Pitt wound up in the same bracket, but that's just me.

Draft saved Draft deleted