1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Countdown to Selection Sunday thread

Yes.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Clemson has to get to the ACC Finals in my opinion. They've just absolutely tanked during the conference schedule and are just not that good. If the Noles beat Clemson, I think they still have to beat UNC the next day to feel better about their bubble. And Al Thornton is the kind of guy who could get that done on Friday. Otherwise the seven that start with Duke and go up are the ones in, and the rest go NIT-picking.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, because Clemson is already toast. But the Seminoles could be the same with a loss there.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Clemson and FSU both have losing records in the ACC. OUT!
    If you're below .500 in your league you should not, ever, under any circumstance get an at-large bid.

GaTech has a shot with a decent showing in the ACC Tourney

5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

At this moment, they are probably in my bracket.
    If they beat Wake in the first round, then I'd say they are in.
    They would then have very winnable games vs. Virginia Tech (quarters) and Virginia or Duke (semis), which would likely lead to UNC in the title game.

All I know is that the bottom half of the ACC bracket is wide open - almost all of those six teams could make it to the title game.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bears had a better profile and better conference record last year. They don't deserve to be in, not after tanking against Winthrop at home in a national TV game.

7. Re: Countdown to Selection Sunday thread

Georgia Tech is in. 8-8 in the best league in the country. RPI of 34. Non-conference wins over Memphis, Purdue and U-Conn, only non-conference loss to UCLA. If they lose to N.C. State on Thursday, maybe, MAYBE they're on the bubble. But right now they're in.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, the Bears were 12 games over .500 (20-8) with a 12-6 mark in The Valley last season, the same as this season, so that's not true. Except they played a much tougher non-conference schedule this time and beat both Wisconsin and Santa Clara, which might win the WCC tonight.

And that's nonsense to hold the Winthrop loss against the Bears. A loss to Maryland-Eastern Shore, yeah, that's one I would file that away and use it against their profile had it happened. But not Winthrop, which played games road games at North Carolina (L, 73-66), Maryland (L, 71-60), Wisconsin (L, 82-79 OT), Texas A&M (L, 71-51), Mississippi State (W, 74-63) and Old Dominion (W, 71-65) before the new year, leaving that game at Mizzou State as just another road game.

Add in the fact that during Bracket Busters you know conferences targeted Valley schools because of their tournament success last season and I'm not holding the Winthrop loss against them.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not holding it against them because Winthrop is a bad team. I'm holding it against them because Missouri State didn't show up for that game, didn't defend. You can have a bad loss to a good team, and after watching that game, I felt like that was one for Missouri State.

In better profile, I meant MSU had a much better RPI and still got jobbed.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You mean the same Winthrop which won its conference tournament yesterday? The fact that they got jobbed the last TWO years and played a better non-conference schedule this year means they should get in.

And Oz.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :)

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In Cosmo's defense, Missouri State really did tank it against Winthrop. The Eagles are good, but Missouri State should take care of business in Springfield against them.

I think Missouri State has a smaller edge than most think over Bradley as far as a third MVC bid is concerned though the Bears do have the edge. No bid for MSU (Hi spup!) could conceivably spell trouble for Barry Hinson, who is not exactly popular among the Missouri State faithful, especially since this year's team should have been better.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

When I was there a couple years ago, he was probably the most popular man in Springfield. I don't know if that changed last year, but from what I understand, the consensus is not that he coached a bad team, but that they have been jobbed by the committee the last two years.

And for the record, I think this year's team was pretty damn good. It's the MVC. There are going to be losses that make someone say "what the fuck" and there are going to be teams that are good who have bad losses. It's how the MVC works every year. The only two teams Mo State didn't beat at least once this year (IIRC) are the two teams who were seeded hire than them in the conference tourney.

Draft saved Draft deleted