1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Countdown to Selection Sunday thread

And Southern Illinois is no longer a No. 3 seed.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

VCU began the weekend third among the at-large candidates. IF the CAA gets two--which I don't think it will--VCU will not get a bid if it loses.

I really think the CAA only gets one now.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think Maryland moves up to the 3 seed.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This thread is a perfect example of why it's great to be a St. John's fan or alum. You don't have to worry about silly NCAA Tourney berths.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

VCU needed to lose to ODU or perhaps Hofstra in the final to have an at-large. ODU might have needed to lose to Hofstra. Losing to the rat bastards deals a damaging blow to ODU and probably would keep VCU out.

Obviously, everything hinges on the big conferences. If you get wacky shit like Florida State or Clemson winning the ACC, or Oklahoma winning the Big 12, then the only reason anyone's calling on the CAA come Selection Sunday is if someone's car breaks down in Winnipeg.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Clemson will not win the ACC Tournament. I think they draw Florida State on Thursday, with the winner getting UNC Friday. If the Maryland buzzsaw continues, it'll be the Terps and the Heels most likely on Saturday. I for one am hoping with all optimism in my body that Al Thornton goes apeshit the first two days before wearing out.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anybody from the SEC West makes it.

Weird, but Alabama, Ole Miss and Mississippi State were all "on the bubble" before Sunday.

Now, I guess Alabama's out of the conversation.

A few more upsets in other leagues makes it tough for teams with RPIs such as Ole Miss (62) or MSU (67) to slip in. At the least, I would think the SEC West champ would need to be .. what, playing on Sunday? Is one win to reach Saturday enough?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

SEC does not deserve more than 4 .... Bama no team that is sub-.500 in conference shouldn get an at-large (Bye, bye Bama).
    Teams with RPI over 60 shouldn't get in either

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No way anyone from the SEC West should make the NCAA Tournament. They're not the worst teams in the nation, but at the same time, they're not all that great.

Re: Southern Illinois, I still believe they should be a No. 3 seed. Which means a team like Duke that doesn't deserve such a high seed will get it.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

According to the Web site linked in the first post of this thread, that site will be updated at 3 a.m., 3 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET every day until Sunday.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Monday's updates ought to be interesting. Like right now all 34 sites have ODU in. I bet that changes.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here is the spnited conference breakdown:

Big East 7; ACC 6; Big 10 5; Pac-10 5; Big 12 5; SEC 4; MVC 3; Mt. West 2; WAC 3; A-10 2; CAA 2.

One bid conferences (20):
    C-USA, Horizon, WCC, MidAmerican, Big West, Patriot, Ivy, Southern, America East, Sun Belt, Mid-Continent, Metro Atlantic, OVC, Big Sky, Atlantic Sun, Southland, NEC, Big South, MEAC, SWAC.

EDIT: To fix WAC to only 2 bids... leaving the 65th spot open for 8th Big East or 6th Big 10 or 4th MVC or something as bizarre as someone other than Memphis winning C-USA

Draft saved Draft deleted