1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday-NCAA tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 17, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I know Iowa does not deserve to get in. Friday's collapse against Michigan State put that in stone.

If Minnesota gets in, I will be miffed. Yes, they won at home against Indiana but lost 11 of their last 16, including losses to Northwestern, Nebraska and Purdue.

Illinois was also 8-10 but I'm okay with them getting in.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. If you are in a play-in game, you shouldn't be a 12 seed. If you're determined to enlarge the field, let the bottom teams (auto qualifiers or not) play the extra game.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Minnesota did ok early on. That may get them in. Right now they stink.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Minnesota seemed to have enough strength of schedule to make a case. Guess here is the B1G gets seven teams: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota and probably Illinois.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Except all 8 teams and all four games therefore would be automatic qualifiers from the worst 8 conferences.

When the first two playins popped up, the small schools/conferences argued they were at a disadvantage. Why should they have to play their way in -- again -- when they had already earned their spot and the at-larges hadn't?

I'm not thrilled with it -- go back to 64 or hell, bump it up to 96 and add a couple of pods (which would help keep teams closer to home in opening rounds). With 96, more than 66.7 of the teams still WON'T get in. You get more at larges (therefore ensuring names like Kentucky, Tennessee, Bama and Maryland are in) and you could set it up by making sure the conference regular-season champion from each conference gets in. If the conference RS champion makes it to the tourney final, than the other finalist also goes) -- but the low-four Autos and the low-four Larges is a good compromise.

Of course, you can't have two at-larges playing for the 16 spot. Think Duke or Miami or Indiana would like to have to deal with Kentucky/Tennessee/Maryland right off the bat?

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I haven't paid squat attention to basketball this year but two things I feel pretty confident about: Kentucky in the Final Four and Texas in the Elite Eight. These two schools never have off years.

..well....

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

sets up the NIT very nicely

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Fuck Kentucky. Calipari needs to use the downtime to go recruit junior high kids for his class of 2018, and Barnes needs to go on the Longhorn Network and beg players to visit him.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Minnesota's AD is VCU's former AD. He would love to unload Tubby and bring in Shaka

10. Machine Head

Two issues.

Tubby's buyout, and would Shaka come to Minnesota and lead the Mighty Gopher?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I just wanna' get this crap and the subsequent screaming over so we can get onto the 30 for 30 on Valvano's '83 team.

12. Machine Head

Oh, IU coach Tom Crean, really?

Draft saved Draft deleted