1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday-NCAA tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think they were out anyway. Might have knocked Tennessee out if they weren't already out.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How can you not have enough at-large bids to go around?

Everyone knows the format in advance: 31 auto qualifiers (or whatever the number is now) and the rest are at-large bids. Teams that don't win their conference auto bids fight it out for the at-large spots. It just seemed like 64 was a nice, evenly divisible number for the tournament.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler! Bubbler!

Be ready to laugh. The wave is going that way. Fans are already trying to rationalize. But they blew it. Crean's Big Ten Tourney substitution pattern of "take out Oladipo, Zeller and Ferrell all at once!" bit them twice against Wisky.

Haven't decided if I'll do the Twitter search for #iubb for amusement purposes today. You may want to.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, but the tourney was expanded to get more at-larges in from BCS conferences.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Evidence?

6. Dick Whitman

When there was an extra conference at some point, it was expanded to 65 to keep the same number of at larges.

Then Coach K whined his way to 68.

7. Dick Whitman

I'm on a smartphone right now, but there's plenty. This is not a theory. Power conference coaches, in particular the one in Durham, pushed to expand.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They did beat USC in that play-in game.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I remember at one time there was some talk of expanding to 96 teams, which would have been a disaster. Sort of like the college football bowls. Just makes the regular season even less relevant.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus, I feel like I know that Ohio State cheerleader a lot better.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Next season, which conference gets the Big East's spot? Does the Name-TBA Conference get an automatic bid as well?

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I don't like the way they have the play-in games set up. If you're in a play-in game just to be one of the 64, that would mean that everyone who is already in the bracket is better than you. So I think the play-in winners should have to play the No. 1 seeds in their respective brackets. Yeah, I know that automatic bids screw that up but I needed to vent.

Draft saved Draft deleted