1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday-NCAA tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 17, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know what? At least there was some decent shooting in this one; looked like both teams shot at least 45%.

Going in I thought the biggest problem for Mich was that they were too small and they got hammered on the glass. Too bad, Cinderella would have been a good story.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Michigan is hardly a Cinderella.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That was a damn good game. Some great plays, good back and forth and yes, some really good shooting.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Karl Hess is probably sitting in his hotel room, pissed off the officiating in the championship game was bad enough people aren't talking about his semifinal performance anymore.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Indeed. Michigan was ranked Top 5 in every pre-season poll, was ranked No. 1 in the nation earlier in the season, and had significantly more future NBA talent on the floor tonight than Louisville did (albeit with less experience). That's rather stretching the limits of Cinderella-ness.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nantz and Kellogg are still in slurp-the-NCAA mode. Kerr goes back to the NBA on TNT.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Great game. One of the best titles games I can remember watching. Sadly, I don't watch them all given the late start. Well worth the lack of sleep and the money I'm spending on Red Bull this morning. I think I heard that Michigan had the highest FG% for a losing team since the G'town-Villanova title game.

Can't say enough good things about Luke Hancock. Apparently, he is the first reserve to win the Final Four Most Outstanding Player award. I was in the house when he hit the game-winner against Villanova in 2011. Unfortunately for Mason fans, that was his last game before transfering. Just an all-around good dude. After transfering to Louisville, he still took the time to attend last year's CAA tournament and root for Mason. He also showed up at our fraternity's annual Alumni vs. Active football game a few years ago.

Couldn't be happier for him. Especially given what his father is going through. Forde had a great story about that the other day. Good chance last night was the last basketball game he ever sees his son play.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ryan, the final it most reminded of in terms of style was the 1975 UCLA-Kentucky game. Both teams playing at and beyond the edge of control, lots of surges, lots of scoring.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of the most thrilling title games in my lifetime. Some bad calls by the refs? Sure, yes, whatever. It happens in every sport, every championship, so let's just accept it instead of bitching and moaning.

Great, wonderful, thrilling, fast-paced, back-and-forth, nut-buster.

And, the national phenomenon known as Spike Fucking Albrecht.

(Can't remember who here used the term "Cadillac of teams" to describe Louisville, but that was spot-on.)

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What time do you typically wake up? The game ended at about 11:45 p.m. ET.

Also, how pissed/happy were you that Mitch McGary missed that final heave that would have made it a three-point game? (Though I am not sure it would have counted.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wake up at 5 a.m. Didn't get to bed last night until around 1 a.m., thanks in part to allergies kicking my ass. Even if I went to sleep at midnight, that's 5 hours. About two or so short of the normal. I'm not exactly dragging ass today, but I'm definitely tired.

Didn't have anything at stake last night. Well, except for Louisville cashing in the 6-1 odds it got before the tournament. Nothing on the game. And I still enjoyed it. IMAGINE THAT!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted