1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday 2011 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

We argue about who got in and who didn't for a couple of days because there's nothing else to do. Once the games start the talk about snubs basically ends. It would be pretty similar for football I'm guessing.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Tomorrow the focus shifts to the games.

No mid-major conspiracy theories this year. That's promising.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So I am watching the news and I see they are interviewing Ron Everhart (Duquesne men's basketball coach) and he is talking about what a wonderful reward the bid was for his team, etc. etc.,

I'm thinking to myself "NIT isn't that bad" until I find out, his team is actually in the CB4 tournament and they play a first round game AT MONTANA......

What the fuck is up with that?

Who thinks that is a good idea? Why have an East coast team fly to Montana for a game in a tournament that nobody gives a shit about.

And how does this benefit any of them?

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Buddy of mine referred to Georgia as the Atlanta Hawks of the NCAA. Pretty apt: Don't beat anyone better than them, don't lose to anyone worse than them, get into trouble when they try to iso everything in lieu of running quality sets, mental toughness usually in question, occasionally get on SportsCenter off a sweet transition dunk.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When a victory over the 99th-best team is something worthy of putting on your resume . . . oh, brother.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

An observation of the conference tournaments and the Asheville/UALR game that has just finished: the team that was trailing late and rallied back to send the game into overtime, has won the game. That has damn near happened in every game I've watched since last Tuesday.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just now realized I forgot to fill out a bracket.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You know, you could add two rounds to the NCAA Tournament, get a 256-team bracket, do away with the conference tournaments and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Conference tournaments are the biggest waste of time and expense in all of college athletics. Based on the seedings in this year's NCAA field, they are absolutely meaningless.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Missouri 75, Illinois 64
    UTEP 65, Michigan 56
    Ole Miss 84, Penn State 71
    Maryland 62, Penn State 39
    VT 69, Penn State 59
    Maine 74, Penn State 64

One win against a quality opponent out of conference among the three (Ill beat UNC). The Big Eleven did nothing to deserve seven bids and really should have been capped at three the way Michigan State folded down the stretch. That alone was the biggest travesty of this year's selections.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know what the rest of the country is getting, but the picture on my TV sucks. Every time the camera moves the pixilation — is that a word? — renders this virtually unwatchable.

Not that I plan on making it a late night watching UAB and Clemson anyhow.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You could say the same thing about 95 percent of the bowl games.

Draft saved Draft deleted