1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selecting All-Area team for my beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

I agree, rhody ... and bbam, this is last-resort-type stuff. if the kids are seriously equal in all respects and the staff vote is tied, etc., there's got to be a tiebreaker. someone's gotta be chosen, someone's gotta have their scrapbook and college scholarship hopes destroyed. so class and school work for me for that tiebreaker.

what do you use under those circumstances?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bribery is a good tiebreaker.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Now we're talking.

4. jps

jps Active Member

and if you take the same amount from both sets of parents?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup. name the best and then make an honorable mention list with every last damn golfer in the region.

it'd be a win-win for everyone, and it ensures that everybody involved will try hard again next year.

6. jps

jps Active Member

your idea sucks.

7. jps

jps Active Member

seriously, tom ... hate that thinking of 'get everyone one there!'

all-area football teams that have three quarterbacks or basketball teams with 4 starting point guards drive me nuts. have some and pick the best. make a decision. otherwise the thing loses value. the harder it is to get on the team, the more it means for those that make it.

this applies to honorable mention, too. many coaches will send in every last one of their players or at least every last senior on the roster. I'm sorry, but when you've got players on the starting five (in basketball, for eg) with 18 ppg and then wind up with the top end of honorable mention getting, say, 13, sally trieshard doesn't make my honorable mention list just because she never missed a practice and hit an average of 2.3 points per night. You've got to have some sort of parameters.

definitely share some love on honorable mention lists ... but don't make them all-inclusive.

8. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Is there a conference or area championship at the end of the season? If there is, my tie-breaker would be how they did in the "biggest" tournament in your area.

Other suggestions if there isn't a tournament like this:
    Compare performance in any tournament they were all in
    Determine their average score if you took out the best and worst performance (maybe someone's score is skewed by one terrible round)

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well, you're taking a lot of scholarships away from the kids.

10. jps

jps Active Member

it's what I'm paid to do.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

To break ties, I'd go with the kids who work the hardest. And to determine that, ask their parents.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tom is joking by the way. If'n you didn't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted