1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seinfeld's slump

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm mostly messing with Vers and the rest of the Seinfeld crew. I think David and Seinfeld needed one another, especially for network TV. I do think Seinfeld is painfully not funny these days, while Curb remains funny as hell.

But yes, the David-penned Seinfeld finale is lazy and awful.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Awful. The movie theater stuff was garbage (and totally acting like an asshole IMHO).

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, you think of the great comic masters and their influence (Carson, Carl Reiner, Sid Caesar's writing staff)...did any of the TV comedies "from the writers of Seinfeld" ever stick? Outside of course, Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    Surprising how little real impact Seinfeld had. You look at Garry Marshall's run with Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley etc leading to a bunch of the TGIF line-up with Miller/Boyett, Bickley, Warren, (didn't say they were good or funny) and then Babaloo Mandel and Lowell Ganz..
    Next to Sid Caesar, Marshall might have the best "comedy tree" out there.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Unless you were Jerry Seinfeld or Larry David, you didn't do a hell of a lot of writing for "Seinfeld."

Fred Stoller wrote a "Kindle Single" about his experience writing for "Seinfeld" for a season. Essentially, the writers all worked independently on scripts and submitted them to Seinfeld and David. What came out often had very little resemblance to what they'd written. There was a big turnover of writers, too. Very different setup from something like the "Your Show of Shows" writers.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I never thought he was very funny, even when he was relevant.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Seinfeld was an historically funny sitcom. Even before the show, Jerry Seinfeld struck me as a real hit-or-miss standup comedian. Some very funny bits mixed in with some exceptionally banal and forgettable material.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw him live a few years ago and he killed with newer material. Obviously, that was before this round...

I wouldn't put it past Seinfeld to try out six minutes of new material on Letterman. If he bombs, who cares? He's Jerry Seinfeld... It's probably a safe assumption that this was something he asked to do... :D I'd be curious if when you're as famous as Seinfeld if you can ever really go into the clubs and just work on new material anymore.

It also could be that he's surrounded himself with people who are afraid to tell him when something doesn't work.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Heard an interview with Ron White once where he said he still does open mics to work on new stuff. The difference between him and Joe Open Mic Comic is Ron White gets 20 minutes at an open mic whereas Joe Open Mic gets five if he's lucky.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ron White can't imagine Jerry Seinfeld money.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the Rolling Stones can play clubs to test material for their tours, and they have, Jerry Seinfeld can play clubs if he wants.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Total syndication deal for David and Seinfeld: $1.7 billion.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jerry Seinfeld is much lazier than the Rolling Stones.

Draft saved Draft deleted