1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seinfeld's slump

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He did six minutes the other night on Letterman, and I swear Kenny Bania is writing his material now.

Hydration? That's gold, Jerry. <i>Gold.</i>

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Or Rick Reilly.

Yeah -saw Seinfeld on Letterman when he was launching his first post-Seinfeld comedy tour. He did five minutes of jokes about changing diapers and being a dad.

He was at the top of his game when he would make jokes about things nobody had ever made jokes about before. The hair clinging to the shower wall, changing barbers....that he is talking about cup holders is all you need to know.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just watched it and thought the material was decent.

But the thing that made Seinfeld a great standup was that you always felt like you were being let in on what was hip. He'd wear a jacket and tie with jeans and sneakers. He was young, cool and hip.

Now, Jerry is there in an Establishment suit. He's greyed at the temples and he's gotten a bit jowly -- almost a double chin -- as happens when we get older. Simply put, Jerry Seinfeld is "so '90s" and it's 2013. He may still have some substance, but it's a style-before-substance world.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm not going to fault him for getting older. I'm going to fault him for lame material. Hydration?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

nobody ever bitched about seinfeld when bush was in office!

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's almost as if he hasn't been funny at all since Larry David went off on his own and took all the real genius with him.

Almost like that's what happened.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He was pretty great doing standup before and during the show. People get lazy when they get ridiculously successful. Wouldn't you?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have not seen it, but his strength was doing common man material. He has not been a common man in a long time.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He's Parcells to David's Belichek? I know others disagree, but I think the show fell off a cliff once David left. Even the funny ones were schtick.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

He was awful on Letterman. I hope that was a laugh track they were using because I couldn't believe the audience found that stuff funny.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jerry Seinfeld didn't write any episodes after David left the show, though. And David wrote the dreadful finale.

The way I see it, David drove the neuroses, but Seinfeld helped make it funny. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a great show with a lot to say, but it's not nearly as funny as Seinfeld.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The finale was the worst episode of the series. Never seen CYE (part of 1 episode), but the downturn once David left is steep. If it's not Jerry's fault, blame the other writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted