1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seinfeld's Kramer freaking loses it!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

It dosn't matter. Richards can say whatever he wants. It's a free country. If you don't like it, then you hate America. [poindexter]

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I remember years back, Richards did an interview with TV Guide and basically came off as a pompous prick discussing the "high art" of his acting and how he's a Serious Intellectual Comic and not just a bumbling TV sidekick.

This, I'm sure, he will say was just part of his act.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

And the groveling begins...

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/michael-richards/michael-richards-apology-tour-to-begin-on-tonights-letterman-show-216208.php

http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/sorry-seems-to-be-the-hardest-word/

Pretty good get for Dave. Not a Hugh Grant-type moment, but should be good TV.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wow, don't these types of incidents make you really want Chappelle Show back on air? Just think of what Dave could do with this! :)

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Does Wayne Brady have to choke a bitch today?

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Paul Rodriguez has been an afterthought for nearly a decade and shouldn't comment at all. If he's all bent out of shape, then George Lopez, Mencia, the late Richard Pryor, Rock, and every comedian should never, ever talk or joke about race, sex, or people again. Or better yet, Rodriguez can blame Lenny Bruce for pushing the envelope to openly talk and joke about our differences.

What makes this a topic was that it wasn't part of the routine or a segue into a joke. The two hecklers, from how I read it, sounded serious when they interrupted him and said that he wasn't funny. Richards snapped and ranted. He took what they said personally and went off. In light of what has taken place, this may taint his career for a while, since our society has become highly sensitive about everything, which ironically, we can laugh about like Terrier pointed out.

I'm channeling Whitlock here, but he has pointed out in the past that there has been a double standard in who says what. If Paul Rodriguez or D.L. Hughley would have went off like that, not much would be said, because they know what it's like to be a minority. This was a bad time at a bad place for Richards to be in for that to happen.

He doesn't need anyone to tell him. He already knows that.

Not similar in anyway, but it does have some overtones was the topic we discussed on whether or not to go to Babs' concert. If I want to hear her sing, then I expect her not to add her personal political diatribe. The 180 to that is I get what I paid for and in the words of Bobby Knight, "sit back and enjoy it."

The hecklers expected something better than what they got. They paid for it and if it wasn't to their liking, get up and leave. But they demanded better entertainment and told him what they thought. In an ironic sort of way, they got their monies worth.

7. XXXX

XXXX Member

didn't rodriguez, who is not african american obviously, say the N-word during that segment and then follow that up by saying that if you use the word if your not black "you better have a good reason for it." what was his reason?
    i don't know maybe im just getting defensive for the k-man. although i do have to say there is a double standard in comedy about who can use racial material and who can't.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Shaquille O'Neal: Tell Yao Ming I said 'Ching chong ching.'

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This wasn't racial "material." It was a racist diatribe. Big difference.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Funny how that works. They make actually jokes that are funny or create outrageous situations that people find funny. They don't go ape shit and start shouting the word "nigger" over and over again for no reason.

11. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you watch the video, I don't know how you can come away with the impression that this was part of his act or even a joke gone awry. There's a big difference between making jokes about the differences between races and belittling a person by calling him a n----- repeatedly. Inexcusable.

That said, I wouldn't label Richards a racist either. What he did was instinct.

Think about it: for somebody like Richards, whose comedy is his life, his essence, his being, the worst emotional pain one can inflict on him is to make of his comedy. And we've all been there: when you feel insulted, offended, your first instinct is to retalliate, to cut to the core of that other party.

The hecklers cut to the core of Richards' soul as a comedian.
    Richards cut to the core of the hecklers' soul as black men.

I won't believe that Richards hates all black people any more than I'll believe the hecklers hate all comedians.

The difference: comedians don't have a couple hundred years of oppression still fresh in their mind.

What Richards did was inexcusable, and I'm sure he realizes that.

Does that make sense?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's the question:

Who the HELL pays to see Michael Richards??

Draft saved Draft deleted