1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, May 22, 2013.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I don't think Miller Park, or Nationals Park are downtown either.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of bars and pub-and-grills pretty close to Miller Park on Bluemound, though. The old Derry Hegerty's Irish Pub is now an excellent place called Burke's Irish Castle. I highly recommend it.

3. Bodie_Broadus

I'd like to see Miller. I kinda like the look of the park.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Nationals Park isn't "downtown" but not that far from Capitol Hill, Barracks Row or a bunch of other stuff. Also the neighborhood around there is gradually building up.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Went there last year for a game. Awesome place. I sat in the CF seats where they have a wait staff to take your order, they even found a place to charge my phone for me.

I have always loved DC, one of my favorite cities to visit. So much to do and most of the cool stuff is free.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

1996 called. It wants its controversy back.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

That someone is the Astros' new owner, Jim Crane. A St. Louis native, he specifically looked to buy an NL team and thought he struck gold by getting a team in the same division as the Cardinals. And then the Commissioner's Office told him that one of the conditions of the sale was moving to the AL.

oh come on, plenty of people stop for a post-game dinner at the Taco Bell right before the on-ramp to I-70.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There's been a contingent in Milwaukee (including Selig) that considers Milwaukee a National League town because the Braves were there for 13 seasons. Nevermind that the Brewers were there in the American League for 27 seasons by the time the move was made in 1997.

9. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I thought the thread title was clever. Nothing racially insensitive about the this thread.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And yet he bought the team, because owning a pro franchise is license to mint.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They just coveted the big crowds of Cub fans who make the drive north every time their bums are in town.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

at first, yeah, but with the Brewers being more competitive in recent years that is starting to change.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/brewatte.shtml
    A rival coming in accounts for a handful of big crowds but not a jump of 10,000 fans per game over a decade ago. Now maybe they felt they wouldn't be as competitive in the AL Central as the NL Central, but it's not the Cubs driving attendance at Miller Park these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted