1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seen the new Google Maps?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It was handy for me, because I couldn't remember the exact street number of the house I lived in my last year of college. Sometimes, when you're filling out applications for credit checks and stuff, they want the last several addresses that you've lived at and I had issues remembering what the house number was. So I go, look for the ugly avocado-green house in College Town, USA, zoom in and got the number! Very useful. Creepy, but useful.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Weird...the old Google Map actually is more up-to-date right now. Our complex was built in the summer, 2012, and from far away, it just shows dirt and grass, the up close angle shows it though. This version is back to dirt.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The place I lived in for about eight years (and now renting out) had my car in the driveway, but it was my car that I got rid of 2 1/2 years ago (and this is a downtown area). Still, it's pretty detailed.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Kinda weird how the details change when you zoom in. For example, I typed in the address of my old shop. My boss's truck was there, as well as our ad director's previous car. They were both usually there by 8 a.m., while I was there by 8:30, so it was probably taken between those times. But when I zoomed in, their vehicles both disappeared. I believe it was from spring or summer 2012, since that's when I spotted the Google Maps car in our town.
    I also looked up another former shop. Down the road was a bank, with the time of 3:56 visible. Zoomed in, all of a sudden the time was 2:44.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What are you guys all talking about? I just looked at several addresses I know and they're the same old views they've always been. My house's photo is at least two years old, if not more, because it's still got the for-sale sign in the yard from before I bought it.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It depends on when the car drives through your neighborhood as to when there's a new picture.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wait. You mean they're not actively watching my house? You telling me I just wasted a good tug-in-the-window?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

New photo of my place, my brother-in-law's truck is no longer in the driveway and my lawn looks like shit.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I used to have twice-a-week pickup, but they only did bulk items once a quarter.

My current once-a-week service will pick up bulk items every week. We had about 5 weeks in a row of old furniture being tossed out when we moved in, and another 5 weeks in a row of 18-bags-of-grass/sod being tossed last summer. Sure was nice not having to haul that stuff away ourselves.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So then what's new about it? Page layout and everything looked the same to me.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd say the biggest thing is the detail on landmarks (places of business, banks, restaurants, etc.), and how complete it is if you blow it up. If I needed to find a restaurant in a town I'm visiting, I'd now go here first. If there is a website for the place, it's right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted