1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seen the new Google Maps?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Had to zoom in. There was a tree in front of the house, and you can see me behind the tree on the porch, looking at mail. I happened to be looking to see if one of my cats was in the window at the time.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's become a little too realistic. I went a block too far one night last week and it said, "You missed the turn you dumb shit."

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Heh-heh. Recalculating. Recalculating.

You know, as complete as these things are, I think it's amazing I've only seen the Google car once, about 15 miles from home.

And yeah, Google's policy is to blur out the faces. Unlike Yanda, its Russian counterpart.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Also trash day at my house, so it was a Tuesday -- probably in the late afternoon, because both of our cars are in the driveway.

Oddly enough, the program that automatically blurs out the license plate also blurred out the Pernice Brothers sticker I had on my car then.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My car was in the driveway.

They've also gotten a new set of street view images. Out new construction house showed up in the satellite images but when you went street view, it showed the empty lot from four years ago. Now the house is there and my car in the driveway.

I clicked on my hometown and the football field and its glorious turf was on display, along with a game or scrimmage. You can see players on the field and people in the stands.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Brilliant level of detail. Took a visit to the ghetto homes where my grandparents used to live. I did not know things had gotten that bad.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And recycle stuff gets picked up once a week, too. Living high on the hog. (And I don't know what that really means.)

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I could kind of figure out when they did our town by the signage. Must have been May-early June. Gas price was up, so probably around Memorial Day.

It was definitely late spring because two trees in our neighbor's yard are in the picture and they were cut down by the city in July. I had some sticks in our front yard that had fallen after a thunderstorm.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They did mine sometime before mid-February because my old car is in the driveway.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wonder how street view does outside my favorite titty bars. ???

"No cover on the outside, no cover on the inside!"

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That would be about right. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted