1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seems my car has officially died...--Update #2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by crazedchipmunk, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Re: Seems my car has officially died...

I know someone who just got a 2008 with only 38 miles on it. Seems like the reviews on them were really good. Was thinking about looking at Kias as well.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Seems my car has officially died...

They're also, according to their Web site, offereing some pretty big discounts right now, cc. Not sure if it gets a new one down into your price range, but it's probably worth checking out.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hyundai's not defunct. Otherwise the guy who started the new dealership in my neighborhood would be pissed.

Hyundai appears to be going more upscale, with models like the Azera and Genesis. Kia is the more economy of the two Korean makers.

4. Re: Seems my car has officially died...

Quick research shows you're 100 percent right and I'm dead wrong. Apparently Kia went bankrupt in the 90s and Hyundai bought Kia. Kia is now a subsidiary, doing quite well (that part I knew.)

The rest is evidently a result of my being lied to by a car dealer (big surprise) and I never bothered to check.

5. sportschick

I say we go beat up the car dealer.

6. Re: Seems my car has officially died...

Well it seems alot of car dealers can be liars. I am going to a dealer up the street tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get. My credit is shot so hopefully I can get a loan.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just cuz your car overheated doesn't mean it is dead.

8. sportschick

CC, if you belong to a credit union (or your bank), call them before you go and get approved. That way you'll walk in knowing how much you can spend.

Also, PM OTD. He has loads of advice on buying cars and how to deal with dealers.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Hyundais are still being made, and good cars. Two people I work with have Hyundais., both with well over 100,000 miles and they both said they've never had any problems. One is a 03 Sonata the other is a '00 Santa Fe.

Hondas are probably the better car. Hyundais are less expensive, better warranties. Hard to beat for the money. They do look cheap, but hell I don't buy a car based on how it looks, I buy it on value and quality.
    Oh and I drive a Toyota Corolla. Also been a good car, but I'[ve only had it for a year, so it's hard for me to judge. My previous vehicle was a Ford F-150.

Also, don't tell the dealer your car is broken down...that's a sign to them that you HAVE to buy. And they are less willing to budge on price, even in this buyers market.
    Also, be very aware of the loan. Even with shotty credit, you can get a loan, but you also don't want to pay $400 a month for 7 years. Just be willing to shoop around for a good deal (I know that's tough since you need wheels fast).

10. Re: Seems my car has officially died...

And read this before you go to a dealer. Someone's posted this here before, but it's good reading. It's a story about a reporter who actually worked as a car dealer.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/page001.html

From what I hear, it's better to buy online.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just be careful. First they stick you with the undercoating, rust-proofing, dealer prep. Suddenly, you’re on your back like a turnip.

12. Re: Seems my car has officially died...

Trust me, it's dead. I made sure it had fluids in it this morning and went two miles down the road and back and it started smoking again. I'm just going to get rid of it and get a new one.

Draft saved Draft deleted