1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking tips for trip to Clemson

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

My college buddies and I make an annual college football trip. This year we're going to Clemson for the Oct. 1 game vs. Louisville.

Thus I'm seeking pro tips on anything from bars to hit, food spots for anything from breakfast through dinner, tailgating tips, must-see sights, etc. FYI we're late-fortysomethings, but enjoy soaking up "campus vibe" for this one weekend a year.

TIA.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm your guy ... Grew up 15 miles down the road and took all my degrees there. Where are y'all staying?

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

#HumbleBrag

:)

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

We're staying at the Comfort Inn at 1305 Tiger Blvd. Also I'd like to add that as an LSU fan, I won't be referring to the home team as the "Tigers" and I certainly won't be referring to Memorial Stadium as "Death Valley." But in general we're quite polite. We will likely also have a local academic in tow; a college friend teaches at South Carolina-Upstate.

5. doctorquant

The quintessential Clemson football game experiences include:

1) Boozing it up at the Esso Club (if Musberger's doing the game, he'll be in there on Friday afternoon)

2) A meal at Mac's Drive-In in Pendleton (a little town that abuts Clemson)

3) Making sure you're in your seat in time to watch Clemson's pre-game run down the hill. It's corny but quite a fun spectacle.

The two bars I "frequent" when I'm around there are Nick's (a grad student/faculty hangout) and the Sloan Street Tap Room (a dive that's two doors down and is (or at least was) run by Frank Howard's son).

Clemson people take great pride in having a reputation as welcoming of visitors, so just get a good parking pass and let the folks around you know it's your first time there. You'll be taken under somebody's wing in short order, believe me.

If you've got time, get your college friend to take you to downtown Greenville ... That's really become a great area.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Musburger.

7. doctorquant

Him, too ...

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was going to suggest Greenville. Really fun town. Stayed there whenever I had games to cover at Clemson or Presbyterian.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Doc, many thanks, this is extremely helpful. I appreciate it.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Funny, the best college bar at Indiana U is also called Nick's. Faculty sit downstairs having a quiet beer and pizza while undergrads are upstairs getting blitzed.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And he still calls himself a doctor!

12. doctorquant

You can call me "Your Majesty" if that'd be more to your liking ...

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted