1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking tips for trip to Athens/Between The Hedges

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

My college buddies and I are making our annual College Football Weekend trip to Athens, Ga., for the Georgia-Missouri game on Oct. 12.

I'd love some advice on things to see/do. Several of us will get in on Thursday evening, so we'll have a few days in town. We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Washington, just north of campus. FYI we're five fortysomething guys, but we do enjoy college-atmosphere-type "scenes," at least for this one weekend a year.

Any tips welcome, but especially for:

-- Fun bars, including a good spot to watch SEC games on Saturday afternoon/evening (our game is at noon ET, so we'll want to hole up somewhere afterward for LSU-Florida, the CBS game with a 3:30 kickoff, and perhaps the night games as well)
    -- Nightspots for Thursday/Friday/Saturday
    -- Good local breakfast and/or lunch spots
    -- Perhaps a slightly nicer restaurant for either Friday or Saturday dinner
    -- The more local flavor, the better

Thanks in advance.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is a store there called the Junkman's Daughter or something like that. Every time I would go to Athens, I would spend hours in that store. Granted, I was still in my 20s at the time.

The Varsity is overrated, but still good.

A buddy of mine who used to work there took me to a restaurant for Mac and Cheese which was the best Mac and Cheese I've ever had. I don't remember the name of the place.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Weaver D's?

That's also the place that had the slogan, "Automatic For the People," which R.E.M. used for its album title.

It was in danger of closing a year or so ago, but I think locals stepped up and saved it. Great place.

A buddy of mine who is a UGA grad had them cater his wedding a few years back.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My suggestion: Come down to Atlanta for at least one of those nights and see me! :D

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Best soul food I've ever had, and I think everything on the menu us made with bacon drippings. Dexter Weaver is a really great guy too. I heard about him possibly shutting down, I hope it didn't happen.

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Thanks on the Weaver D's rec, that will definitely go on the list.

Anyone else? is this thing on?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A college buddy grew up there. Lemme send him a FB message.

8. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I'd be much obliged, t_b_f.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Weaver D's was the place.

In my humble opinion, Athens is the coolest college town in the country. I haven't been to all of them, but I've been to every Pac-12, SEC, Big 12 and Big Ten city and I would really have to think about what would be a distant second. It's such a fun town.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Closing, this time for real:

http://flagpole.com/blogs/grub-notes/posts/weaver-d-s-is-closing-for-real

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never been to Athens (I'm too old to go now, I think) but my choice is Ann Arbor.

Draft saved Draft deleted