1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking tips for Oct. 2 Ala-Fla weekend in Tuscaloosa

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The one in Birmingham is great. The one in Tuscaloosa is one of those restaurants that I think every person needs to go to at least once. I would probably rank it among my top 10 dining experiences ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's why I'm bitter about never trying a "good" Dreamland. It'd be tough to beat Big Bob Gibson's, though. Food-wise. Maybe not atmosphere and all that.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Except for the original Dreamland (on Jug Factory Road off Hwy 82 South), all other locations are "franchises" and have never been owned or run by the Bishop family. The only thing that is the same is the barbecue sauce.

Big John Bishop's daughter (John died in 1997) ran the original one for several years, but now operates EJ's Wings & Things in downtown Tuscaloosa. But she still co-owns the original Dreamland, and it has maintained its menu, quality and atmosphere.

I'll say it again: the Dreamlands in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery and even the second Tuscaloosa-area location ARE NOT THE SAME and are just run-of-the-mill barbecue joints, so don't judge the original based on those. The original is worth the trip, though it's tricky to get a table on game day.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember waiting 90 minutes for a table a few years back and it was worth it.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The best BBQ I ever had in the Tuscaloosa was in the back of some guy's house in Northport. I believe it was called Archibald's. That ring a bell with anyone? I think I was loaded and it was dark when we went there.

Also used to be a place outside of town that served a tremendous steak called Nicks in the Sticks. But that was 20 years ago, so doubt it's still around.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mentioned Archibald's on up the page. It's outstanding and was actually more famous than Dreamland at one time because it was Bear Bryant's favorite place. Ray Perkins is the one who really brought the national spotlight to Dreamland because he ate there every Friday during the season and was always taking the national TV folks there.

Nick's In the Sticks (technically called "Nick's Original Filet House") is one of those places I always heard about, but never went to. Good steaks were usually out of my budget when I lived in T-town. But I've heard it's great, and as far as I know, it's still there.

Here's a story the T-News did on it in 2009:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20090514/TUSCALOOSAMAGAZINE04/905139957

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

By the way, if you go to Archibald's it's cash or check only. No credit card.

8. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Here's some advice -- Good luck and God speed.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What's the story with Alabama white barbecue sauce?
    I despise mayonaise, but I can't help being curious.

10. Point of Order

Salt, pepper, vinegar and mayo combo made famous by Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur. It's very thin, watery, tangy. Tastes best on BBQ chicken. Think salt & vinegar potato chip in liquid form. I've never seen white sauce south of Morgan County, though.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had heard it was microregional and limited to northern Alabama.
    I really loathe mayonaise, but I'm going try this one of these days.
    I have no plans to visit Alabama, so I'll probably had to DIY it.

12. Point of Order

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BBGB&Category_Code=S

Draft saved Draft deleted