1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking talented sports writer in Greenwood, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Richard Whiting, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting New Member

Are you ready to launch your sports writing career? Looking for a daily newspaper that places a premium on good work, strong work ethic and talent?

The Greenwood (S.C.) Index-Journal, a small community daily, is looking for a talented, energetic and aggressive sports writer to join its award-winning team.

We’re no second-rate publication. We take pride in our work, and it shows in the number of S.C. Press Association awards we have received through the years. And that includes numerous awards for sports feature and news writing. We cover a dozen schools — public and private — and have two colleges we regularly cover, Lander University and Erskine College. Sure, football is king just as it is anywhere in the South, but we don’t ignore the other sports, and there’s plenty to be covered. And plenty of talent out there to supply a good flow of feature material.

We’re a family-owned newspaper, which means we don’t have the layers of corporate executives to wade through. While other newspapers are struggling to stay in business and some even furloughed sports staff during the pandemic, we recognize that solid local content is what brings readers back to our newspaper and website.

We want to challenge the regular parameters attached to small papers. We believe the best way for a newspaper to succeed in this economic climate is to put out the best product possible.

The ideal candidate must understand local sports matter and be able to convey that through stories and photos. He or she must also understand the importance of digital-first journalism, using social media and video to tell their stories. The ideal candidate must be aggressive, creative and thorough. Key ingredients are pride in work and a passion for journalism. And while thinking digital first is important, you might find it good to know that we have our own press and set our own schedules. What does that mean? It means that those Friday night football games are not only going online, they’re going in the next morning’s print edition too. Because we still recognize the importance and value of print.

We’ve hired journalists from California to Florida. Our hires have had degrees from Missouri, Florida, Wisconsin, Colorado, Ohio, Northwestern (master’s degree) and Georgia (master’s degree).

If you think this sounds like a good fit for you, and you have the desire to help us continue our award-winning, public-serving publication, let us hear from you.

If interested, send a cover letter, résumé, at least five clips and references (via regular mail or email) to:

Richard Whiting
    Executive Editor
    P.O. Box 1018
    Greenwood, SC 29648
    rwhiting@indexjournal.com

No phone calls, please.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You'll probably get more datelines from Due West and Ninety-Six than you'll probably get to Clemson, Columbia or Augusta. But some really good fishing lakes and a pretty part of the state.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Richard Whiting

That's true, sir. We focus on the hyper-local for the most part. But we've been known to head to Cola and Clemson a time or two when area players make the teams. And you're right, this is a pretty part of the state. Conveniently located between Myrtle Beach on the coast and the Myrtle Beach of the mountains, Pigeon Forge. :)

FileNotFound, Mngwa and maumann like this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Every time this comes up, I give it a big thumbs up. I know Richard, I know the paper. Go get this one.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Well, my cabin is almost 100 miles nearly due west of Due West, up near the "Myrtle Beach of Georgia" (or maybe more like a smaller Gatlinburg, Germanically speaking). We've run the motorhome through Greenwood a few times.

Good luck landing the right person!

6. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

In terms of newspaper jobs in 2021, this is about as good as it gets for a young reporter.

7. Richard Whiting

A cabin would be great to have up there. Know a few folks who also have places there. Spent a week there a couple of years ago.

maumann likes this.
  8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Richard, if I was 25-30 years younger I would be all over this. You guys do it right.

9. Richard Whiting

Age is but a number, right? We gladly hire experience too. Appreciate the nod.

RonClements likes this.
  10. Julian McWilliams

Julian McWilliams New Member

This is a great gig with a great and honest staff. I used to work there as a young sports reporter and I learned a great deal. Richard and everyone there is top notch.

11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I will echo what everyone here said Richerd White is a great editor who cars a lot about the sport section and South Carolina spoets. Don’t apply here if ur just trying to use this as a stepping stone to cover the cocks this isn’t that kinda place

12. Skylar

Skylar New Member

This is my (soon to be) old job. I have greatly enjoyed working here and strongly recommend the Index-Journal for anyone looking to get into "the biz." High school football is excellent here, we have several competitive teams each season and sensible deadlines allow you to cover things the way they should be covered. I'd be happy to answer questions about my experience here. My email is srolstad@indexjournal.com

Draft saved Draft deleted