1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking suggestions for interview subject on Walter O'Malley

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I have to write a story about the late Brooklyn-Los Angeles Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley for next week and was looking for suggestions on people I could interview to explain how hurt the people of Brooklyn were by the move.

My first thought was Dave Anderson because he covered the team. However, he still writes columns from The New York Times and have been told to avoid interviewing media sources.

I won't try for Roger Kahn because he is too bitter and has credibility problems.

I will call the National Baseball Hall of Fame and see if someone there could help me, even referring me to someone.

Any suggestions?

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Start by reading all the documents and other information on www.walteromalley.com. You'll find a lot of correspondence between O'Malley and Brooklyn folks.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pete Hamill.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Charley Steiner, Larry King

5. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Art Modell was a Brooklyn boy. You might want to ask him how much the Dodgers' move hurt, and why he then ripped out the hearts of Browns fans in much the same way.
    Not that I'm bitter.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That cracked me up

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are still some Brooklyn Dodgers still alive, like Ralph Branca, Duke Snider. Tommy Lasorda was a Brooklyn Dodger briefly.

EDIT: Also, I would think Rachel Robinson would be a very interesting person to interview.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Read "The Last Good Season." Plenty of good names in there that you might be able to get a hold of.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Carl Erskine is still living...retired years ago as baseball coach at Anderson (In.) College, but I imagine someone there could steer you to him...

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Guy who is still unbelievably alive is Lester Rodney, who was a sports writer for the Daily Worker. I see him interviewed and as a source in nearly every story, documentary or book about the Brooklyn Dodgers nowadays. He was a source for Jonathan Eig's book about Jackie Robinson's last season. Rodney has the credibility of having really been around the team and close to the players and management during the Robinson years through when O'Malley bolted. He's unbelievably old. Not that hard to find. He's in Walnut Creek, California.

11. maberger

maberger Member

hockey maven stan fischler was working for the brooklyn eagle at the time, i believe

Draft saved Draft deleted