1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking strong sports paginator/copy editor | Toledo, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jul 27, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking strong sports paginator/copy editor

(This is for the Toledo Blade)

Award-winning Midwest newspaper is seeking an experienced sports paginator/copy editor for our 7-day-a-week operation. We have a universal news and sports copy desk, and are seeking someone who is strong in sports. We are looking for candidates with solid headline writing capabilities, as well as significant page layout and pagination experience. The successful candidate will be responsible for laying out the sports pages at least three nights a week, and will be involved with the editing and layout of special sections, including high school and college football tabs. Night and weekend shifts are part of this position. A college degree and a minimum of 2 years of experience on a sports copy desk are required. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer competitive wages and benefits.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Anyone care to guess what the pay ballpark would be?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's a guild shop, so I'd bet pay depends on experience level. Don't quote me on that, however.

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

If it's above $44,000 I'd be in on it. Because it's two hours from home for me. Also if they paid for expenses. But I doubt it seriously. Even it being a guild shop. Which actually is a good thing

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I found their guild website and it had pay on it, as of the 2014 contract. Pay for first year was about $31,000, up to $42,000 for two years, assuming I read it right. I do'nt know if that means two years experience or two years with the Blade.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I tried finding it and I guess I'm technologically incompetent lol. Anyways someone probably will land a good gig with this.

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I did finally find it. I guess I would expect a bigger paper to pay for more experience, and they might, but I guess $31,000 for a starter makes me not wonder as much why people stay away from this business.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I left The Blade in January. This was pretty much my role along with some of what the ASE did.
    The ASE just left to join the marketing team (and work 9-5) so that's why the special sections part needs to be filled as well.
    I made about $19 an hour when I left (down about a buck from when I started in 2011), count in holiday pay and OT, I cleared $40K easily. I forget that actual numbers.
    I left on good terms, sort of...so I won't trash the place...but just like most papers, it's been in a decline for a while. But there are some great people to work with there. They just had a round of buy outs which saw some great vets leave.
    Frank Corsoe is the SE, and is fairly hands off, except for the front page...or whatever JRB says.
    Ah yes...John Robinson Block...the publisher. Let's just say...he's eccentric. Which means he meddles with EVERYTHING! You have to send mock up of the front while on deadline to managers and sometimes, someone changes something on a whim. It's tons of fun.
    The staff is almost completely flipped over since last fall.
    I left the paper, another guy moved to the editorial page, the ASE is in marketing, and the agate guy retired. So the sports rim is very small now, and you will have a lot of news-side editors that don't know sports that well helping you on deadline. But the guys are there have been picking up the slack, so props to them.
    The hours are mostly 4-M with a 10 p.m. deadline (IIRC), so it's a lot of plug-and-chasing pages. Friday's are a bit later. Most likely you will have Sunday and another day off...most likely it won't be two days off in a row.
    They do pay moving expenses.
    I'll check back if there are other questions.

9. Emerson Bigguns

Emerson Bigguns New Member

I wasn't sure if I'd want to apply to this paper, but then it hit me: this isn't just any rag. THEY'VE WON AWARDS!

Draft saved Draft deleted