1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking sports copy editors' resumes, The Arizona Republic

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by paulbarrett, Aug 9, 2010.

1. paulbarrett

paulbarrett Member

Recent departures have created opportunities for us to review staffing in all aspects of our sports department, print and online. Although we do not currently have a copy-desk position open, we would like to be able to move quickly if additional movement in the months ahead allows us to create a desk opportunity. So we are looking to update our file with fresh resumes of editors who would be interested in working in Phoenix.

If we have a future opening, we would be seeking a competent, dedicated editor who has the sports knowledge that's necessary for our always-busy market. At least three years of copy-editing experience would be preferred.

Also, please be aware that there would be no writing involved.

So if you'd like to be considered for employment here in the future, please send me your resume. Thanks.

Paul Barrett
    Night Sports Editor
    The Arizona Republic
    200 E. Van Buren
    Phoenix, AZ. 85004
    paul.barrett@arizonarepublic.com

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Are you guys going to be affected by the new Regional Design Centers?

I've heard other Gannett sites are going to lose at least some of their copy editors from their universal desks because of these changes within the next 2 years. Is that applicable to you guys, too?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I believe Phoenix gets one of those design centers.

4. paulbarrett

paulbarrett Member

That is correct, we will have one of the regional design centers, and we don't have a universal copy desk.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I knew about the Design Center hub being there.

But as far as your copy editing staff, you aren't going to be losing any copy editor positions at the Republic? If not, congrats. It sounds like you're one of the few lucky ones, maybe even having sports exempted from this trainwreck as a whole?

Draft saved Draft deleted