1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking some advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Over the last year, I have been the sports editor at my latest gig and I truly like it. However, during that time, I've come up with various ideas not only for sports, but for news and ways to make money and they have all fallen on deaf ears. I've talked about the ideas with the editor and nothing is done because if it isn't her idea, then why bother.
    So my question is do I continue to bother coming up with the ideas or just say the hell with it?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've finally done the latter here. It drives me insane. I suggested something we could/should start doing immediately - and that was just after New Year's Eve.

There's another meeting on it "later this month."

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd just focus on doing your job and doing it well. Put that wasted energy back into your product and make it better. You'll be better off for it.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Stock up all the ideas, save up some money, get a couple investors, start your own publication and then put your current (former) paper out of business.

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Take your ideas and go be a managing editor or editor elsewhere and tell this editor to blow upon having new job offer in hand. I was in a similar spot once, thoroughly frustrated, and ended up running a daily paper as the top dog. If your ideas are sound, people will listen...you just have to find them.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What would lead you to believe that there is a newspaper in this country that is interested in good ideas that make money?

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

1) Don't be petty.
    2) Don't get frustrated.
    3) Maybe they're not the best ideas.
    4) If they ARE good ideas, make them known to other people around the office.
    5) Don't quit trying to excel.
    6) If all else fails, pitch story ideas to other papers or major metros.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pitch your ideas. If they ignore you, then don't give them any more, and save them for your next job. If they don't want to appreciate your efforts, then don't try to help them.

9. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

Look for and work toward your next paper. When the offers come in, be discerning about which one you choose, opting for a place that likes you for your ideas and what you want to accomplish. When you get there be bold about using/pushing/implementing on your own as many of your ideas as you can as quickly as you can. Your cache will never be better than it is in the first six months you are hired, when the person who hired you will have to say, "Well, we brought this person in because of their ideas and energy, so we ought to listen."
    That, or, you could consider changing careers.

Draft saved Draft deleted