1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Rocky Top tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

My college buddies and I are taking our annual College Football Trip to Knoxville next weekend (Oct. 4) for Tennessee-Florida.

I wanted to solicit the board, and especially TigerVols and his Orange brethren, for some Knoxville tips.

We're actually staying in Nashville on Thursday night, then rolling into Knoxville on Friday around lunchtime. We've heard about Calhoun's for BBQ, but what other places should we hit for food/drink? Is the Vol Navy something we should definitely check out? Other tailgating tips?

FYI we're a group of 5 40-somethings, and we're staying on Cumberland right by campus, which we gather is "The Strip." We've also been told Market Square is a cool area "downtown" for bars and restaurants.

What else should we know?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Since you're older guys who can probably afford it, Ye Olde Steakhouse is well worth it if you can get a table. It's a good ways off-campus (the other side of the river) but you won't be sorry.

http://www.yeoldesteakhouse.com/

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've been eight times or so and I would be surprised if we didn't hit the steakhouse and Calhoun's every time. Chesapeake's is good too.

Pete's is great for breakfast.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Will third or whatever Calhoun's. I can imagine what a gongshow it must be on game days. Wife still raves about the biscuits.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll be there as well. Heading to Nashville for the Browns game, side-tripping to Knoxville for the college game.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, go to Bojangles and get a 12-pack of those blueberry biscuits.

Pure deliciousness.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My top tip for Rocky would be make sure you have surround sound and a big screen.

8. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you want a break from drinking and eating, the Mast General Store downtown is fun to kill some time, whether you want to buy anything or not.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Boberry biscuits. Jeez. :)

You can never go wrong with Bojangles. That's what we had for our tailgate at Virginia Tech a few weeks ago.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I suggest you (a) stay near downtown Nashville and hit The Gulch area (if you're feeling hip) or Lower Broad (if you're feeling touristy).

The County Music Hall of Fame and Museum is super cool, believe it or not, even if you don't like country.

Get to Knoxville in time to see the Vol Walk; even Gator fans will enjoy the spectacle of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted