1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking relationship advice from the good doctors of SJ.com...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Oct 26, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So here's the deal.

Taking my wife this weekend to her first football game (I know how Jews must feel trying to get Gentiles to convert before marriage; getting Mrs. TV to enjoy football has been a decade-long struggle). It's my Titans @ the Chargers.

First thing she asked when I told her we got tickets: Are you going to wear your jersey?

Yep, a few years ago, she gave me for Christmas a Vince Young jersey. I'm not a huge fan of 'ol VY, and I fall squarely in the camp of people who think jersey wearing should be limited to 10 year olds or actual players. It hasn't been a problem so far, since I just have to wear it around the house for the odd televised game on occasion. But now, she's expecting me to wear the damn thing in public. At a game. On the road.

So what would you do?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I completely agree with you about men wearing jerseys, but if your wife gave it to you, you wear the jersey.

It will make her happy and that trumps any public humiliation you may suffer. :D

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"I don't know, babe, that blue jersey would be really hot in the sun. I was thinking about a white tee shirt instead."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wear the jersey.

5. Mizzougrad96

There are certain cities where I would say, "No way, you're just asking for trouble." but in San Diego, nobody will blink at a VY jersey.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Grown men wearing jerseys is stupid. Grown me wearing jerseys with their own name on the back is worse.

Tell her the truth.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You must not be married if you think telling your wife the truth is a good strategy.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

misplace it

9. Mizzougrad96

Wear the jersey, root for your team and make your wife happy.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Wearing the jersey will make her happy. Not wearing it could piss her off.
    Which wife do you want to be with?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Your wife gave you the jersey; damn right you're wearing it. (Or you could accidentally on purpose spill ketchup on it during the pregame tailgate, then plead to her fashion sense that you don't want to have this big red stain on your chest for the next three hours.)

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Wearing the jersey will save you weeks of anguish, or so my dad tells me after 36 years of marriage. Yeah, you think the jersey's childish, but whose opinion matters more: the 80,000 people in the stands or the one person on the drive home?

And IMO, whenever you introduce someone to sporting events, be prepared to act like an idiot so they can feel free to let loose, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted