1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking page designer/copy editor in Fargo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jmiller, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jmiller

jmiller New Member

The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, an award-winning 50,000 circulation daily newspaper located in Fargo, N.D., anticipates future openings for full-time sports copy editor/page designers to join its night sports desk. Fargo is home to three colleges, including NCAA Division I North Dakota State, and a host of area high schools. The Forum sports section was voted in the top 10 by by APSE in 2004. It’s our goal to return there and stay for years to come. Job duties include editing staff, wire copy and designing sports covers and inside pages using Quark Xpress. Photoshop skills are a plus, but not required. Night and weekend work is required. Competitive salary and benefits. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, references and examples of your best work by email to jmiller@forumcomm.com or by regular mail to:
    Jason Miller
    Sports Editor
    The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead
    P.O. Box 2020
    Fargo, ND 58107-2020

Deadline is February 1, 2006.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

So what is 'competitive salary' in Idaho?

3. I doubt he knows, considering Fargo is in North Dakota.

4. This is a nice gig. Good people there, and Fargo is a surprisingly decent city.

But it's a long, long way from everywhere. Your closest big cities are Minneapolis-St. Paul and Winnipeg, and both are 200-plus miles away. And west of Fargo? You might as well just keep driving all the way to Seattle.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I interviewed here a couple years back and Fargo itself was the biggest stumbling block. Otherwise, this is a great paper and a hell of a job for the right person. Strong, long-tenured staff; openings here are quite rare.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

ouch.

7. The winter weather in Fargo certainly can be that way. 100 degrees in the summer, -25 in the winter.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But it's the middle of nowhere. People come to Fargo, not vice-versa. And by Midwestern standards, the 3-4 hour trip to the Cities is a piece of cake, especially in the summer.

Lots of great lakes nearby in Minnesota. Three colleges; NDSU will be a major player in I-AA once it can compete in the playoffs; it possibly was the best I-AA team in the country this year. Solid high school sports as well, good local golf scene with some nice courses. Independent league baseball. Very affordable, especially by East/West Coast standards.

Yes, it's flat, and it's cold in the winter, and quite often windy, and I'm not sure if the Chatterbox Lounge is open any more. But summers are spectacular, it's a good paper, and the staff is solid. You could do a lot worse.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you get the job don't screw up, or it's the wood chipper for you.

10. Agreed, absolutely. Don't know if the Old Broadway and Jim Lauerman's still are there, but those are decent eating-drinking places within a few blocks of the paper.

And there's always the bars with a few low-stakes blackjack tables in the back. Nothing quite like North Dakota gambling.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Fargo is a hell of a lot better than Minot, ND. That is all.

12. Setting the bar a bit low, aren't we?

Minot isnt' the Magic City for nothing, is it? After all, it was good enough for Dale Brown (for a while, anyway).

Draft saved Draft deleted