1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking info

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writestuff1, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The AP sports alternatives I know of are The SportsXchange, Stats and The Sports Network. The content is terrible, in my opinion. I don't know why anyone would want to read bad content on the Internet, which is loaded with good content, but Bleacher Report has become pretty successful.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Why do you want to spend lots of money (whatever the amount) to provide information easily found elsewhere on the Internet? If you've got an authoritative local site, more power to you. But why would someone use your site instead of ESPN to see if the Lakers won, and how would you possibly get enough of those readers to justify the investment?

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Floyd is speaking the truth. Anyone who who doesn't like smart-ass responses probably is out of place on this board.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I want to go to some blog or my pro news and I'm sure the masses will, too. The public likes cut-rate operations. Hators gotta hate.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You better believe they're gonna hate!

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who ran a personal blog for more than a year, this times a thousand. Any post that was about me, or my area, did much better than something on a general topic that was already saturated by Internet coverage (pro sports, music, hit television shows). Find a niche and develop it, and after you're wildly successful, maybe that's when you try to get credentialed for pro sports coverage, or look into running AP.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, Floyd, just want you to know I've missed your TV commentary.

[​IMG]

Which raises the question: Suck eggs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Floyd R. Turbo

Floyd R. Turbo New Member

I need that photo. I've been looking for that. Brings back great memories, doesn't it?

9. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Sgreenwell, thanks for the insight. We are finding our niche with our prep site. We're in our second year and since the start of fall practice through the end the playoffs, we've had approximately 2 million hits - for an eight-school area, I think that's pretty good. That having been said, advertising has not what we would like it, and frankly, need it to be. As to credentials, we've gotten those from the professional teams since the very start because my buddy and I (mostly my buddy's) past reputations in the area. My buddy has a local TV show that airs weekly (he's a former sports anchor who is tired of moving from place to place and wants to be near his kids. I have different, though related family concerns, so we're not a bunch of wannabes) and he has a website to go along with it. It's mostly been his show being put on the site and my game coverage/columns of the pro sports teams and big area events. We need to beef up that site because that's where the potential advertisers are compared to the prep site since the schools are in smaller towns. We are trying to cross promote and thought if we had national stuff to go along with our local stuff, we could get people to stick with our family of sites instead of going elsewhere. Maybe its foolhardy but we are just tossing around ideas and were looking for insight since this is new to us and we're only a two-man operation with a little tech help. Again, thanks for the insight.

Draft saved Draft deleted