1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking help with Boston trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Feb 9, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm taking JR to Boston for a long weekend and I'm looking for some help. We're hoping to drive and I've found a reasonable room at the Holiday Inn Express BOSTON at 69 Boston Street. It looks reasonable close to everything and is on the subway line according to their website. Any comments welcome.

We're going to a Bruins/Leafs game on Thursday night so that evening is taken care of. Looking for recommendations for restaurants, must sees, etc. from those that know the city. Please keep in mind I ain't rich!

Thanks in advance to those with helpful advice.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know how much of a history fan either of you are, but I know the two times I've been through Boston (unfortunately, just Logan Airport), I've wanted to go see the USS Constitution. Then again, I'm a huge history buff, especially naval history. Thus, my must see might merit a "meh" from you.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Depending on the weather, you may want to walk the finish of the Boston Marathon. You can see what the runners go through.

There are also some great museums if you are into that kind of stuff and a drive by Fenway is always good.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping it doesn't snow.

I've been to Boston half dozen times but not in a while.

Recommendation for good seafood restaurants--no Red Lobster crap---are welcome.

Want to get over to the Harvard Coop.

Anybody from the area have favourite bookstores?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do Freedom Trail. It's an easy walking tour of the major historical landmarks.

And be sure to have a drink in the nation's oldest bar (can't remember the name, it's right across from the Holocaust Memorials). Then go around the corner and have a drink that also claims to be the nation's oldest bar.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I second Freedom Trail and the U.S.S. Constitution. The Bunker Hill monument's pretty cool, too.

I would also recommend the JFK Library, which is phenomenal.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What's the name of that pastry place in the Italian district? I'm looking at you, 21. Bova's, maybe?

Whatever it is, I highly recommend it.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Inky, done the Freedom Trail but since HC hasn't been to Boston, I'd love to do it again.

I hope it doesn't snow.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

HC, I have great love for you and your man, and I would never steer you wrong. Thus, I present to you (and expect much genuflecting upon your return):

Go to Hanover St., which is like Toronto's Little Italy on meatball steroids. There is a restaurant there called Giacomo's. It's not cheap, not expensive. It opens at five o'clock, four o'clock on Sundays. There will be a long line up if you get there after it opens; in fact, there will be a long line up before it opens. For good reason. It's a tiny, packed-in joint, very rushed feeling, loud as hell, but the food is fucking awesome. Start with the fried calamari -- best I've had -- and then hit whatever pasta course strikes your fancy, but the seafood ones are killer. Then, after eating everything you can eat in probably 45 minutes -- they gotta keep the line moving -- walk up Hanover and head into one of the little dessert places for a pastry and a coffee and unwind, because you'll be stressed out from your dining experience. But you'll have loved it, too.

Again, let me emphasize, it is not a relaxed dinner for two. It's chaos, but it's great chaos.

And two of my favorite bars are in Boston. Bukowski's (named for the drunk writer) is this great little bar, narrow, in the bottom of a parking garage across from the Sheraton Downtown. Kind of punk, very writerly, great place. Good food, too.

And then there's Sevens, which is kind of Bunker Hillish. Not sure what to say about Sevens, except that it's a very comfortable and pleasant place to get fucked out of your gourd. I've made stains there. You'll probably see them.

Be well, congratulations on the new gig (warm, warm congratulations on that), and enjoy the hell out of Boston. Great town.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

spend the $5 and take the water taxi back from the constitution. the water taxi rules. in fact, look up the boston water taxi route and take it any place you can. a great way to get around for cheap.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Hit the Fours - across the street from TD Banknorth Garden - for pregaming or postgaming.

Also, in the North End, go to Bova's on Salem Street. Best. Canolis. In. Boston.

Take a trip up to the top of the Prudential Tower - $11 gets you great views of Boston.

Cambridge/Harvard Square is quite charming, as well.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Jillians is a great sports bar across from Fenway.

Draft saved Draft deleted