1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking help for my talk to print journalism students at my HS alma mater

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Oct 3, 2011.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Ten bucks says NO ONE asks that question. You may get: "So, have you ever seen/met anyone famous?". But NO ONE will assume your'e friends.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What is this "print-only" reporter of which you speak?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Non-outing alert! Mr. X is not Jay Glazer.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I spoke to a high school journalism class every spring for several years. Questions were often the same -- most famous person interviewed, favorite sport to cover, best story I've ever written. There were usually only two people in the room that had aspirations of covering sports, the rest were waiting for the bell.

Just tell war stories. I always talked about interviewing Warren Sapp in Tampa Bay after games, when he'd spread a towel in front of his locker to catch his tobacco spit. If someone was in the front of the media scrum and asked a touchy question, Sapp would "miss" the towel and spit toward the guy's shoes. That got laughs. Stupid stuff like that keeps HS kids awake.

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

Nothing journalists (even high school ones) like more than some prepared speech in response to a question.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm afraid in this dumb-downed era, that response would fly over the head of the average high school student. In today's celebrity-centric world, though, they'll want to know if you've had a brush with fame.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The most disgusting part about it was, Sapp had a habit of using the same towel he had previously been wearing as his locker-room spittoon. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted