1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Hawaii advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Feb 25, 2007.

1. So me and the family are pondering a trip to hawaii in 2008. No big trips this year, to save money, as it's rather expensive.

I'm seeking advice from people who have been.

Is one of these 10-day tours where you go from island to island the best way to go? Does it save you money? Any do's and don'ts tips as far as planning and what not?

Thanks in advance...

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

What age are the kids (if any)? Part of Hawaii's charm is being able to do nothing and enjoy it. We had a 10-day trip a couple of years ago and split it between Maui and Kauai. Maui is a little more activity-oriented, and while Kauai has plenty to do (the Na Poli hike and Waimea Canyon are great), it's more a snorkel/beach/lounge environment.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Be sure to get yourself a good map.

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Look into an Aloha Airlines Island Hopper pass. Unlimited flights between the islands for a certain time period for a certain price. Tours are too schedule-y.

5. Good start. Keep the tips coming!

And no kids, it'll be all adults.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

If you go to Maui, Kihei's a little thugged out. Not a great place to buy weed, but you can get it there. On the Road To Hana, there's a million curves in the road and a lot of locals hanging out looking to sell a dime bag. Good shit.

I like Lanai. I like Maui. Not so hot on the big island, though.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

We honeymooned on Kauai and loved it. Built up enough so there's plenty to do, but not so concrete and plastic-y. Editude's point about doing nothing is correct--I'd pick an island and stay there, except maybe a day on Oahu to see the Arizona memorial or something. The main point of Hawaii is relaxation (preferrably with a mai-tai in your hand) and you don't want to have to make too many trips, which just angry up the blood.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hawai'i is scheduled to have interisland ferry service starting this summer, with daily service on the O‘ahu-Maui and O‘ahu-Kaua‘i routes.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

9. somewriter

somewriter Member

We spent about 8 days in Kona on the Big Island. Great area - way too much to do/see, whether it's sitting on the beach or more adventuresome stuff. We had 6 people and rented a house, which I definitely would suggest. You get the freedom of being able to move around a little, you can cook/grill some meals yourself and we had or own pool. Unless you want to be on the go the whole time, I'd stay away from island hopping. It's easy and cheap enough to make one or two day trips to other islands if you want.

10. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

If you go to Oahu, rent a car and explore the entire island... you'll have a much better time than just staying in Waikiki the whole time....

Also, when you get there... take off your watch! Who cares what time it is... you're in Hawaii! :)

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

If you are ambitious, try Molokai. It is as far from touristy as you'd ever want to get.
    And for snorkeling....

[​IMG]

This guy does a great job.

12. It sounds like this is your first trip to Hawaii. Spend a couple days on Oahu, because you should see the Arizona Memorial. Very moving. Then pick two islands to split your remaining eight days. My preference is the Big Island (Kailua-Kona area has great beaches and golf courses, plus there's the Volcanos National Park if you like that kind of thing). Kauai is great for snorkeling, the Na Pali coast is a must-see, and more great beaches. Poipu Bay on the southern side is an affordable destination. Hanalei (near Princeville) can be pricey. Lihui (where the airport is) is in the middle and relatively convenient to both.

Maui is fast-paced, but very crowded and touristy. I like more laidback. Lanai just recently opened up, but be prepared to drop big bucks there.

If you opt for Oahu and one other island, consider staying in two areas on the island to cut down driving, enjoy those areas and maximize your hammock time.

Draft saved Draft deleted