1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking East Coast-ish honeymoon suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Anyone ever traveled on the Vermonter that Philosopher mentioned?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Have not. Believe it there is some connecting service into Montreal.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Coolidge Hotel in Rio Blanco is quite the charming, bizarro destination ...

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If he is worried about cash, it is one way of finding a nice spot to stay in a romantic setting.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yeah, but a once in a lifetime event could be ruined if the EBAY place is less than expected.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Before or after midnight?

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I understand what you are saying but people sell Marriott Timeshares and Hyatt Timeshares from all around the world for decent prices.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When the ax-wielding freaks try to chop down doors ...

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We went to Key West for our honeymoon this past May and loved it. Depending on when you go, you can catch some good deals. Our trip started on Memorial Day, which is also when the off season begins. Week before, rooms all over town are around $250 a night. From Memorial Day to around Thanksgiving, they're almost $100 a night cheaper. And late May is usually too soon for hurricanes, although we did manage to hit one.
    Stayed on the southern end of Duval St. at the Southernmost Hotel for about $180 a night, which is cheap by Key West standards. The whole week cost us somewhere around $2,500 and we only had one day of laying on whatever beach is there. If you fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami, you can also spend a day driving through the Keys and hitting some of the other sights.
    Just don't stop in Key Largo.
    Hell. On. Earth.

10. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

Mrs. Tundra and I honeymooned in the Keys three years ago. Absolutely fantastic. We stayed a couple nights on Islamorada, another on another key I forget the name of and then three on Key West. Each place has its own character (and characters) which made it fun. The drive is fantastic, especially if you know a few cool places to stop along the way.

Of course, we've also done the Charleston-Savannah-St. Augustine drive (sans interstates for most of it). That was a great trip as well. Three very cool places with a lot to do (read: very cool bars).

I guess most importantly, though, congratulations on the impending nuptials.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

If you come up to Montreal, you can say you went "abroad" on your honeymoon.
    Weather's find around then. Stay at a place in the old part of the city before the tourists descend, walk around under the old fashioned streetlamps and you'll feel transported back in to the 18th century.

Flight-wise, if you're anywhere JetBlue is, fly into Burlington, Vermont, rent a car and drive up. 1 1/2 hours. You could combine the two and do a little mountain romancin' and get some clean fresh ar.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would suggest Cape May, New Jersey. There are old Victorian homes. I think it is the one place on the east coast where you can watch the sun rise over the water and watch the sun set over the water. If your wedding isn't too close to Memorial Day, you should be able to get a good deal on a hotel room because the summer rates might not kick in. It also shouldn't be too crowded at that time.

My parents (in 1953) went to Quebec on their honeymoon, so that might be another thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted